Jun 19, 2008

Bad Mommy

Before we adopted I read a lot of books. Books about caring for newborns. Books about schedules. Books about feeding. For 10 years I've been reading all these books on how to care for a child should we ever have or adopt one. I've learned about putting a baby on a schedule. I've learned about the proper ways to burp a baby. I read about how to relieve a baby of gas should the need arise. I've read and learned about all kinds of things. And so far, I've tried to do the things I've learned. I've been following the pattern of feeding her every 2 1/2 - 3 hours, changing her, playtime (in the day) and then putting her down for a nap. I've been very good about following this "schedule." I've tried very hard not to spoil her with too much attention. I've tried to rock and cuddle her only when it was feeding time, as one of my books says.

But...

Today, after we got home, I fed her, I changed her diaper, I talked to her for a little while, then I put her in her Pack & Play for her nap. And after she fell asleep I walked over there and looked at her. She's just so cute. 

So... I picked her up. And I cuddled her close. She's so cuddly. Then I went and sat down on the couch... and I held my sweet, cute, cuddly baby for two hours while she slept.

Once won't hurt will it?


If the authors of those books I've read could see her, they would do the same thing.



post signature

2 comments:

The Glenn Gang said...

I'm with you! I was the exact same way about schedules and books and suggestions, etc. But, even now sometimes I will go in Jonah's room and pick him up out of his bed just to rock a while! That is the beauty of being a mommy!!

Meegan said...

You are not a bad mommy at all! Relish in those moments, because before long, they will will be gone! We are adoptive parents too, and I totally understand! BTW, I found you through "Once Upon a Blog".