Aug 2, 2008

What a Day!

We all had a very long day today. 

We slept in a little. At least I did. Reagan got up with Sara Madalin around 6:00. (Which was so sweet of him.) Then they took a nap on the couch while I slept in our room. We started getting ready to go out around 9:00 and finally made it out of the house around 11:00. 

We thought we'd do a little shopping today. Being new parents we never thought about the fact that EVERYONE would be out shopping for school clothes. We went to the mall and there was people everywhere. But we found some great deals on summer clothes for Sara Madalin for next year. I also found a few dresses and a new swimsuit for our anniversary trip in November. (Yes, we are going Martha.) I think Sara Madalin should be set for play clothes for all of next summer.

She was such a trooper. She laid in her stroller and looked up and smiled and cooed. Then when one of us was holding her, she could look around at everyone. She is going to be very inquisitive I think.


She lasted about 3 hours of shopping and then she was ready for a nap. But there was too much distracting her while laying in her stroller. So Reagan picked her up and she was out in a matter of minutes. He carried her around like this for at least an hour. (Oh, and funny story about Reagan's hair. Read on at the bottom and I'll tell you ALL about it.) She didn't wake up when I put her in the car seat she was so tired. Little did she know, her day wasn't over yet.

When we left the mall we went to Aunt Susan and Uncle David's. She was still asleep when we got there. But when she heard all of us talking she woke up. She has convinced us that she doesn't want to miss anything. When she hears someone talking, she wants to hear what is going on. We sat around and talked for a little while, then we decided we'd see how she liked the pool. So we all put our swimsuits on and went outside. (However, Mommy was the only one who actually got in the pool with her. Everyone else kind of sat on the side.)

She didn't really care for it. I think, even though it was 101 degrees outside, the water was still a little cool for her. Her head was sweating, but I think her feet were cold. She didn't whine or complain. She just would kind of pick her feet up when I'd get them in the water. So we sat on the side with Daddy and Aunt Susan for a while and she looked around. She loves to be outside. There's so much to see.


I sat on the first step and held her feet over into the water. Aunt Susan splashed her. She didn't know whether she liked that or not at first. But then she started making the water splash with her feet. I think after a few minutes she really did like it.


We sat out there for a few more minutes and she fell asleep in my arms. I knew she was really hot, so we went back inside. As soon as we were inside, she woke up. She was still tired though, as you can tell from the next picture. I think this photo is so funny. She looks like she's yelling, when actually Reagan caught her in the middle of a yawn.

After we changed back out of our swimsuits, it was time for her bottle. Eventually I'll start listening to her cues and stop feeding her when she's trying to tell me she's finished. I knew it was her last bottle for the night, so I tried to get her to take the whole thing. About 5 ounces into it, she started acting like she was done. Still, I kept trying to feed her. Well, she let me know she was COMPLETELY done by spitting up about an ounce all over me and the couch. So I changed her and then she was ready to sit with Uncle David for a little while. She sat in the recliner with him and watched TV until we were ready to come home.


Once we got home, I bathed her really quickly and put her in her PJs. She smiled the whole time I bathed her and washed her hair, but her little eyes were so tired. She didn't even want another bottle. Reagan wrapped her and put her in her bed and she was out within 5 minutes. 

We were so very proud of her today though. There were kids crying and screaming in some of the stores and she was just as content and happy as she could be. I know, I know... that will be us one day. A screaming kid in a store full of people and me trying to do everything I can to bribe her to be quiet. That's why, when we were standing behind the LOUDEST child in Mississippi today, I just turned to Reagan and smiled and said, "I'm not going to say anything about that because I know that will be us one day." He said, "I'm so glad we have that to look forward to." And he meant it. We both do. We're glad we get to experience spit-up all over our clothes. And screaming kids. And teething. And shopping for clothes on sale. And ALL of it.

Now, about Reagan's hair. I cut his hair. I have for years. He doesn't really have a styled hair cut. I just put the #2 guard on the clippers and run it across his hair until it's all even. I usually cut it about every 4-6 weeks. Once, right before a summer mission trip, I used a #1 guard, but usually I use a #2. Well... my sister and her son were here a few weeks ago. She wanted to cut his hair. It's summer and so she decided to shave it all off. She took the guard off the clippers. And left it off. And I put it back up... until today... when I pulled it out of the cabinet, plugged it in, and ran it across the left side of Reagan's head. IMMEDIATELY I knew something wasn't right. He said the look on my face was priceless. I said, "Uh oh." Then I looked at the clippers and noticed there was no guard. Now, for the person sitting in the chair, this was not funny, TRUST ME. But I was about to wet my pants I was laughing  so hard. I was doubled over, couldn't even breathe. After about 2 minutes I said, "Honey, I am so sorry." All the while, as I'm laughing, he's looking in the mirror at his buzz cut. So, once I gained my composure, I put the #2 guard on the clippers and tried to see if what I had already cut would blend in. Didn't happen. So, we tried the #1 guard. It looks ok. Unless you look really hard and know what you're looking for, you can't really tell where the "no guard" cut and the #1 cut are. Guess I won't have to cut his hair for a while though.

post signature

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi Malinda! I just love your blog and your daughter is absolutely beautiful. My husband and I have been married for 13 years and we waited 10 years to have a baby. We have a little girl, too, and she's three now! Enjoy this time and these special moments while you can because they go by so fast. I'm sure there have been alot of people tell you that, but it is the absolute truth. I had no idea!

We probably saw you guys today! We were in Mississippi for just the day (we spent the night in a hotel last night!)

Come by and visit me if you get the chance! I love to blog and meet new friends!

Laura