Oct 31, 2008

It's All Over But the Crying

Our friends, David and Regina, are leaving Friday morning flying back to Guatemala where they serve as missionaries. When they left two years ago we went out to eat together the night before they flew out. We ate at O'Charley's and stopped by Starbuck's, then drove them to their hotel. Of course, Regina and I prolonged the good-byes at the hotel as long as Reagan and David would allow it. David's not all mushy about that kind of stuff. We sat around the hotel room and talked for a while. Every time there was a lull in the conversation, Regina or I would try to think of something else to talk about so we wouldn't have to say good-bye. Finally, during one moment of quiet, David so sensitively said, "Well, it's all over but the crying." That was his way of saying, "We know we have to say good-bye at some point. Prolonging it is not going to make it easier." So we cried and said our good-byes.

Tonight we kept our tradition. At least what Regina and I say is tradition. Well, sort of. They came up to our house for dinner. Here's Regina and Sara Madalin right before we left. This picture doesn't depict it, but Sara Madalin laughed and laughed at David. She kept looking over at him waiting for him to say something - anything - and she would smile and laugh at him.


We went to eat at O'Charley's. It was fun. God has truly blessed us by placing them in our lives. They are the kind of friends who have seen us at our best and our absolute worst - and they love us either way. (At least, we think they do.)


We stopped for our Starbuck's run. Even I got something, and I NEVER drink coffee unless we are in Guatemala. And even then, they tell me I don't really drink coffee. I drink about half a cup of coffee with half a cup of leche (milk) and FIVE packs of sugar. At least FIVE.

But we did break tradition in one way. Rather than dropping them off at a hotel, they came back to our house to spend the night. We are taking them to the airport for their flight in the morning. So the tears haven't started yet. At least not from sadness. I think I laughed so much at times tonight that I cried a little. Like when David posed for this picture below. Can you guess what he's doing?


He's a pumpkin, for Halloween. We were cleaning out the back of the van so we could load their luggage. This sheet was back there because I put it down when I carry my dogs to the groomers. David decided it was going to be his Halloween costume. He had all of us doubled over laughing. 

We love them and we are going to miss them. Please pray for them as you think about them. 

post signature

1 comment:

Lynn said...

It sure was good seeing David and Regina. I know that you hate to see them go too. I like the pumpkin outfit. COOL.