Feb 16, 2009

Are Y'all Moving?

Several people who read our blog have emailed me or stopped me in the hall at church or called to ask me this over the last couple weeks. Um, yeah, we're moving.  I thought I had mentioned that. Maybe not. 

I've debated whether to post info or photos about this or not. But, I know that there are people who GENUINELY care about us and SINCERELY want to to know because they want to rejoice and get excited with us when God does something wonderful in our lives. (Like Aunt Sue - love you.) So, I want to share with those people.

About 3 or 4 years ago, Reagan and I went driving one Sunday afternoon. We had decided that we were ready to start looking for a piece of land in the country to move from the subdivision in which he's lived for what is now 16 years. Anyway, we were riding around and we saw a For Sale sign that pointed down a dirt road. As we drove down the road, this is what we saw.



We later found out that this was a 9 acre lot. We drove to the end of the road and immediately knew we had found what we were looking for. Why? Because it was located on a lake.

This is the view that we would wake up to each morning once we built on our lot.

So, over the past couple years we've had soil tests done. We've moved dirt, brought in gravel, and just in the past few months, began to prepare a site for house construction to begin.


Then, about a month ago, we got a call from one of our future neighbors. We had met him and his wife when we first bought our land. They had just started building when we first bought out there. We've talked with them several times. We went out and sat on their back porch and talked in the afternoons once their house was built. And on those occasions when we visited with them, we'd leave and say, "I can't wait until we're out here sitting on our own porch in the afternoons looking at the lake." 

Wait a minute, I think I went off on a tangent. Back to the call about a month ago. 

He, Mr. Buddy, called Reagan about a month ago and told him that he'd decided to buy another lot - 4 acres - just down the lake. He said that they were going to sell the house that they lived in now. He and Mrs. Brenda had decided that it was just too much house for the two of them. And then he said, "Would you and your wife be interested in buying our house?" Well, we'd seen in built from the ground up. We knew that he'd overseen the whole thing. He's a licensed contractor and it was HIS house he was building. We felt pretty sure he'd made sure it was done well. So, we went out to take a look. 

Now, we'd already been working with an architect on the plans for our future house. We'd put quite a bit of money and time into that and into "dirt work" on our piece of property. But, after we looked at Mr. Buddy's house, we both said, "Did you see what they did in the kitchen? We talked about doing that." "Did you see the windows? We talked about doing that." "Did you see the sunroom off the master bedroom? We talked about doing that." There were many similarities. There were also several differences. The house plans we have are for a more traditional layout. The house Mr. Buddy built is more open. More of a Lake House feel. We had planned for all bedrooms, except the master, to be upstairs. This house ha all bedrooms downstairs. There was much we liked, but some things we weren't so sure about.

After praying and talking about it, we went back a second time. We prayed again. We talked. We looked at finances. We talked. We talked. We talked. And finally, we decided, now is a good time. We like the house. It's big enough to grow, should we adopt again. And y'all, look at what I get to look at every morning when I wake up.

This is the screened sunroom off the Master Bedroom. We plan to do a few things to the landscape, and possibly add a pool for Sugar in the next few years. But it is going to be so nice and peaceful to sit out there in the mornings and evenings. 

I don't have a lot of pictures to share right now. But over the next few weeks, I hope to. For now, here's a picture of the back of the house that faces the lake.
We love all the windows. And I love the fact that I have a wrap-around porch. Again, these pictures are not great. I'll take better pictures to post hopefully this weekend. Speaking of this weekend, we are probably going to begin moving Saturday. We are not supposed to close until the 10th of March, but Mr. Buddy told us to go ahead and bring things over if we're ready. There's a detached shop (yeah, Reagan is so excited about that, cause he's SUCH a handy man) and we are going to use if to store our stuff until the house is clear. We are also waiting on flooring that we ordered for the second floor. Mr. Buddy built a HUGE second floor bonus room (about the same square footage as our entire current house). We've talked about the possibility of making it a 4th bedroom/3rd bath. He never finished the floors because he wasn't sure what they would do with the area. Well, it didn't take me long to make plans for the area. And I've picked out the floor. We're just waiting for delivery and installation. Once that is done, we will move everything else in fairly quickly.

Again, once we move, I'll post more pictures. A virtual tour, if you will. I'll also post a few pictures of our old house as we move. I've been boxing up things over the last several weeks. We're having the exterior painted and few minor things repaired inside. Packing has has made me a little sad. This house holds MANY memories. But, Reagan reminds me of the new house and that we'll make lots of memories there.

I'll update on our progress over the next few days and weeks.

post signature

8 comments:

Jeffrey Brown said...

The house looks amazing... congrats!

The Glenn Gang said...

I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to come visit and let our kiddos play together!!!

Regina and David said...

How exciting! Thanks for posting pics. I can't wait to see it in person. I'll be looking forward to some more photos soon. :)

K Storm said...

I am very excited for you!! Sounds like it was meant to be!

Baylee's Mommy said...

That's AWESOME! Congrats! :)

Cindy- My Life HIS Story said...

Oh my goodness!!! A MOVE!!! SO EXCITING!! Girl, I'm just wishing I lived closer. I could so help you do some decorating and then enjoy a great cup of coffee on that back porch!

Lynn said...

Oh, Malinda. Beautiful. I am so excited for ya'll.

~the mccrarys~ said...

FIRST off, BEST OF LUCK WITH MOVING! I've spent my whole life moving & it sucks! It's a very big pain & I hope you guys get moved very smoothly.
Second, CONGRATS ON THE NEW HOUSE! it's so pretty! cant wait to see new pics!