Feb 13, 2009

Flashback Friday #4

This Flashback Friday features my good friend, Martha. I refer to her often on our blog as Granny. She has been a big part of my life over the last 7 or 8 years. She and I have a lot in common. Let's see, we're both short. We both speak our mind. We both love to laugh and joke. And we both enjoy being a part of short term mission teams and participating in mission activities. Here are a few photos of us from 2002 - the year we went on our first mission trip together to Honduras.


This is in the kitchen at my church. We had a fundraiser to raise money to buy medicine and supplies to carry on our mission trip. 


Packing Pills! Actually, I think we were packing VBS supplies to carry down with us. Bless her heart, I've made her wear and do a few things that she might not have otherwise. But I keep her life interesting. I think someone had donated these hats to our mission team and I didn't know what else to do with them, so I put one on her and one on me and we took a picture.


She's Bad to the Bone. This was at a garage sale that we did to raise funds. You can tell we'd had a long day. That was the LAST garage sale we had.

WARNING: This next bit of info may be a little TMI for some of you. Feel free to stop reading at any time.

Martha was also my shower buddy on our mission trips. That means little or nothing to anyone else but me and her. Before we went on our first mission trip, I had several major concerns. One being, if I have to take a shower OUTSIDE with just four metal walls surrounding me - no roof, just walls - and a water hose draped over the side, what do I do with my clothes while I shower? Dr. Tony, our team leader, told us to choose a buddy to shower with. Well, not literally shower with, but someone to go with us when we take a shower. He said we could take turns holding each other's stuff while one showers and then switch places and duties. Anyway, Martha was my shower buddy. But, I wasn't the best shower buddy. The first trip it was because she worked in the pharmacy and I worked children's church. I'd finish before her and take my shower in the afternoon. She'd still be working and couldn't shower until later. So, shower buddying didn't work out so well the first trip. Then, the second trip, we worked in the same area. So, we took a shower at the same time. But one afternoon it rained. So, Martha stayed out in the rain with me while I took my shower. Then, when I was done and had on dry clothes, and she got in the shower, I went back to my room. She's never let me forget that I left her there. I've tried to explain to her that IT WAS RAINING and I had on clean, dry clothes and didn't want to get wet. There's also a third trip shower story. I was in the shower and had forgotten something in our room. I called for Martha and she went and got it for me. As she was bringing it to me, she tripped and fell - off the porch onto the ground. Needless to say, Martha probably won't be my shower buddy on our next mission trip.

post signature

No comments: