Feb 27, 2009

Flashback Friday #6

A few weeks ago, when I started doing my "Flashback Friday" posts, I told you that I had seen it on a blog but couldn't find the blog again to give the author credit. Well, I found it again. If you want to read other flashbacks, click here. I've not read a lot of the posts, but I do want to give credit where credit is due. 

Now, on to today's flashback.

Today I'm re-visiting 2003. These photos are from mine and Reagan's second mission trip to Honduras with Baptist Medical Dental Mission International. I can't remember the whole name of the village, but it was San Francisco de something. It was in the mountains of Honduras and very windy and quite cold at times. Uncharacteristically cold. Lucky for me, I never go far without a jacket. Or two.

This first picture is of me right after we got into the village. Usually, teams set up their sleeping quarters in the local school building. Before we sat up our matresses that we were going to sleep on, we decided we'd sweep. The local ladies had cleaned up and moved the desks all to the wall for us, but there was pine straw all over the floor. And you know, every time we'd leave to go work in our designated area in the clinic and come back to our room, there would be more pine straw on the floor. We couldn't figure out where it was coming from. There were no pine trees out in the school yard for us to have tracked it in. Well, Dr. Tony explained to us, the local ladies were putting the straw down every day because they used it as a room deodorizer. Ohhhhhh. We stopped sweeping it up after he told us that. 



This is a photo of me flushing the toilet. First, let me just say how thankful I was that we had toilets. And that the toilets were actually enclosed in a room with four walls and a roof. But let me explain about flushing a toilet in a third world country village for those who are unfamiliar with it. There is a big drum of water or a "pila" (a concrete tub looking thing) full of water in the bathroom area. Before you go to the bathroom, you fill a jug or a coffee can with water from the drum or pila. After you go to the bathroom, you pour the water down the toilet to flush. And you NEVER flush toilet paper down the toilet. Yeah, mission trips are very educational and very humbling. 


Here's Reagan doing what God has gifted him to do. In this picture he was mixing medicine. I love seeing him on these trips. He is so humble and giving. He works so hard. He is one of the first people to start in the morning and one of the last to stop. And unlike at home, he usually has about 5 or 6 techs filling the prescriptions - ALL of which he alone checks. And I've yet to hear him complain. On this particular trip, he was not only the sole pharmacist, he was also our team captain. God grew us both that week. Only Reagan is always more willing to grow than I am.


There's My Martha in the background.  This was the year I left her in the rain during our shower time. But we won't get into that again. She always works with Reagan in the pharmacy. He likes working with her because she's trained so well now, he doesn't have to explain much to her.


This is Mrs. Marie. I wish everybody who reads my blog could meet Mrs. Marie. She is quite a character. I think she was about 78 or 80 years-old on this mission trip. She kept us all laughing. She would talk to the Hondurans in English, cause you know all the Hondurans in remote villages understand English. They can't speak it, and probably only hear it a couple times in their entire life, but as far as Mrs. Marie was concerned, they could understand her. We'd constantly tell her, "Mrs. Marie, use a translator. That little lady doesn't understand what you're saying." And Mrs. Marie lost her teeth one morning. It wasn't her fault. It was quite windy in this little village. And because we didn't have running water, we'd brush our teeth out in the common area of the school yard and rinse our brushes and mouth with bottled water. Mrs. Marie had her teeth in a cup and she had gone outside to rinse or brush or whatever you do to false teeth. And suddenly we heard Mrs. Marie say, very calmly, "Well, there goes my teeth." Sure enough, Mrs. Marie's teeth were rolling across the ground in the front yard. She picked them up, cleaned them and put them back in her mouth. Hey, it couldn't have been more dirty than anything else we came in contact with that week.


This is Bethany and Chris. Chris was a nurse that went with our team. She slept in a mosquito net every night. Good thing too. On our second night in the village, before we all drifted off to sleep, she said, "What is that tickling me." Someone shined a flashlight on her and there was one of those insects that look like a stick, crawling on her head. Yeah, fun times.


I have tons of photos from this trip and others. But these reflect some of the best stories.  Looking at these and remembering these days has reminded me once again how great God has been to us. He has allowed us to experience so many things in our marriage and life together that we never dreamed we'd get to do. We're humbled and grateful for all He's blessed us with, and all the ways He's used us, despite who and what we are.

Hope you enjoy our flashbacks as much as I do. 

post signature

2 comments:

K Storm said...

Hey, did you work in the pharmacy with Reagan? My hubby has worked in the pharmacy on mission trips even though he is a PT. I have a few of my pics on Facebook...last year I went without hubby. I like going as a couple more. BMDMI is a great organization. I just spoke to our GAs/RAs about the trip last year and they are helping prepare for the trip this summer.

Cindy- My Life HIS Story said...

I love the post. But "San Francisco de something" - I laughed out loud...I talk like that all the time these days!!