Apr 18, 2009

Brunch with Barbie

Our ladies at church had the most wonderful time of fellowship this morning. We have been planning a brunch for some time. We invited as our guest speaker Barbie Bassett. She is the chief meteorologist at a local television station in our area. She's somewhat of a celebrity "in these parts", as they say. Our ladies have been so looking forward to her visit. We called the event "Brunch with Barbie."

Yesterday several of us spent our day at the church decorating for the event. I took a few pictures. First, here are some cute little hats that one of the ladies from our church made. She melted styrofoam cups in the oven, then painted and decorated them with feathers, ribbon, glitter, etc.  Aren't they cute?


This one was my favorite. Love the zebra print and hot pink.


Peggy T. and Cheryl decorated in the sanctuary. We used hats, shoes, beads, scarves, purses - girly, girl stuff.


In the fellowship area, we decorated too. Everything was not just girly, but spring-y. We used a lot of crystal and flowers. We had the best time yesterday decorating together. It blessed my heart to spend time with the ladies and watch them use their talents and gifts for the Lord. 

This is the drink table. Tea, water, coffee and condiments.


More hats, scarves, purses and shoes.



Here's a look at the finished sanctuary. 




Now, about the food. There was a sweet little lady at our church who has now gone to be with the Lord. She was head of our church's hostess committee before her passing. She would always pick at me when we'd have fellowship at the church because I would bring chips, cookies or something from a can that required little or no preparation. I've gotten better about that kind of stuff in the past few years. I enjoy cooking and baking for these events.  As I was preparing what I'd take, I couldn't help but think about her and think that she'd be so proud of me for bringing something besides a bag of Doritos. 

First, I made some candy. This wasn't that hard. You just melt the chocolate discs in the microwave and then spoon it into a mold and leave it in the freezer until it sets. I thought it would be cute since our decorations were girly to do lipstick and shoes and other girly things.


I also made Monkey Bread. It's one of the easiest things in the world to make and it tastes so good. And I also got to use my shoe pie server. It's a pie knife with a shoe heel magnetically attached.


I made these little smokies wrapped in bacon, topped with brown sugar and baked in a 350 degree oven until the sugar melts and the bacon is done. So good. And so easy.

I also made a platter of mini blueberry muffins. I forgot to take a picture of that.

I didn't make this next treat, but it was so cute I had to take a picture. Peggy H. made this. It's a hat with a flower and a ribbon. Isn't it cute?

Candy and shoe decoration.


Some of our ladies - Sue and Kayla. Kayla is Sue's future daughter-in-law.


The lady on the right is a member of our church, Mrs. Helen. She's pictured with her daughter and granddaughter.


Tess and her mother, Kay


Me and Mrs. Helen in our blue.


Me with one of my favorite girls, Anna.


Shauna and Anna, our youngest members of WMU.


Me and Peggy. I am so thankful for Peggy. She did so much to help make this such a wonderful event for our ladies.


Some of our sweet Senior ladies - Aunt Bobbye, Mrs. Lona, Mrs. Helen, Mrs. Mary and Mrs. Clara


Me and my sweet girl who showed up with her Daddy right before we started eating. He came to operate sound equipment for us.


We were going to take a family picture, someone wasn't as interested in that as she was in touching the hat Mommy was wearing. 


Mrs. Peggy and Stacey led us in a few worship choruses. 



Barbie sang "Amazing Grace." She has such a beautiful voice.

She then shared several things on her heart as a mother and woman. She talked about hearing from God and trying to always be mindful of how He is trying to use not only her, but everyone else there today as well


And then, bless her heart, we took pictures. I don't think there was one person (except Reagan) who didn't pose with her. And let me just say, she is even more beautiful in person than on TV or even in these pictures.


All the while, Reagan was in the background working and cleaning and serving, without a word.


Kayla, Peggy and Barbie


Anna and Shauna with Barbie


Barbie also brought her youngest child, Lily Faith, or La-La, as Barbie calls her. She and Sara Madalin hung out in the nursery together. I tried to get their picture together but Sara Madalin was too distracted by Sue's "unique" hat.


A couple pictures of Barbie and her baby girl



I told you EVERYONE posed for a picture with her, me included.


Here's a group photo. It was so wonderful to spend some time with these ladies.

post signature

6 comments:

Barbie Bassett said...

Loved, loved, loved being with ya'll today! I was blessed just being in the presence of Godly women!

Penny said...

That looks like fun! I LOVE Barbie, even though her weather report doesn't always help us out down here! (I live near the Glenns.) I still like to watch her, anyway. She's beautiful inside and out, as evidenced by her comment. =)

Paige said...

What a great time! There is something about being with sisters in Christ that is always a blessing. Thanks for sharing such great photos!

Have a great week!

Kate said...

Now that looks like an awesome event at church. So glad you all had such a wonderful time. Love the little cup hats...too cute.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Malinda. Just wanted to say Thanks for all the hard work you did to get Barbie to come to Harmony. I had an awesome time.
I know you have a god given talent for organizing things like this.
So glad you used that talent for
"Brunch with Barbie". I love you.
Pat F.

K Storm said...

Who came up with the styrofoam melting to make hats? That is too cute! I think your refreshments looked great and the decorations very festive! What a special event! We had Barbie to speak at a Christmas dinner in 2007 and it was great...she does have a lovely voice too.