Apr 28, 2009

Gonna Swim Right, For the Rest of My Life

For those who follow our blog, you know that for the past 15 weeks Sara Madalin has been taking swimming lessons. Monday night was our last night in WaterBabies 1 class. Next week we begin WaterBabies 2. Luckily, Daddy made it to her last lesson in this session in order to see how far she's come since her first lesson and to take pictures for us.

Before our lesson, we did what we normally do before classes. We went to watch the bigger kids finish up. She wore one of her new swimsuits. It's a 12 month outfit and I thought it wasn't going to fit her. She's becoming such a big girl so fast. I mean, look at her. She looks like a toddler, not a baby any more. (Oh, and by the way, she tried to take that bag of cookies more than once from the 3 year old standing next to her.)


I know she looks like she's going to the bathroom here. But she's just getting in position to sit. Because once she sits, then she can crawl. And she likes to crawl all over the place while we wait for our lesson to begin.

The first night she had lessons, I posted several videos. Tonight we took more video to show how far she's come and how much she's learned since that first lesson. In this first video, she kicks-kicks-kicks to the balls. Then we kick-kick-kick to the basket to drop the ball. Only, she's not as excited about dropping the ball as she is about getting it.

video

In WaterBabies I one thing that she learned was to "wall hang" on the side of the pool. After I count to 10 she's supposed to climb up, get the ducky, turn around and then we count to 3 and she jumps in the water to me. She doesn't like waiting until 10. And sometimes she jumps to me, sometimes she just sits there and splashes her feet in the water. Just depends on her mood.
video

In this video we are waiting our turn to slide. She does so good with kicking that I try to move her any time she does it. I think that (moving when she kicks) has helped associate moving in the water with her kicking.  Also, it was funny when she climbed up to Miss Lisa (her swim instructor). Miss Lisa had her toes painted. So, instead of climbing up and standing up for Miss Lisa, Sara Madalin wanted to touch her painted toes. My girl likes painted toes. I told her that as soon as she stops putting her feet in her mouth, Mommy will paint her toes.
video

Finally, she swam through the hoop. She did so good tonight. She closed her eyes when she went under the water. She didn't get fussy. I was so proud of her.
video

At the end of class, she got her first certificate. You can tell by the photo, she was not all that impressed with it. But her Mommy is. I'm so proud of my girl. Can't wait to see what she learns next.

post signature

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, she has come so far from those first videos taken in her first swin class! I'm so amazed at how well she kicks her legs while in the water and that she doesn't mind putting her head under water! I wish they had something like that here, I think it's great for children to learn how to swim and not be afraid of the water. That last picture of her with the award is just too cute!

Kate said...

Oh....look at what a big girl she is. You are so proud!