Apr 13, 2009

Happy Birthday, Honey

Today is my husband's birthday. I saw something that my friend Nicki did on her blog for her husband on his birthday and thought I'd borrow it from her. I hope she doesn't mind. On Dan's birthday she listed things that told why she loved him and why he was so special to him and Jonah. When I read her post, it made me cry a little. So, I thought I'd list some things about Reagan that Sara Madalin and I love and appreciate. However, I'm going to have to make a slight change to my post. On Nicki's post, she listed 35 things about Bro. Dan because he was turning 35 years old. I'm going to only list 10 things about Reagan cause he's just a few years older than Bro. Dan.

He’s a great Daddy. Lots of men can be fathers, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy. He helps get Sara Madalin up in the morning. He helps pack her diaper bag. He also helps put her to sleep, when she will let him. (Usually, she wants me when she’s ready to go to sleep.) We’ve even got a little routine for when she gets up in the night. He gets the bottle ready while I change her diaper. He can put a hairbow in her hair just as well as I can. And he’s almost learned how to match tops and bottoms when he dresses her – ALMOST. Any help I need with her, he steps in and does it. And he NEVER complains about it.

 

Us with Sara Madalin only moments after her birth.


Reagan holding Sara Madalin during her dedication at our church


Reagan and Sara Madalin after having her ears pierced

He is consistent – in his actions, in his morals, in his work. He doesn’t change what he believes, says, feels, or does just to please those around him. He is flexible (as those who’ve been on mission trips know), but he is consistent.

He prays over me and Sara Madalin every morning. He wants the best for us. He knows that in order to provide that, nothing is more important than bringing our names and needs before God on a daily basis. He also encourages me in my Bible study. He asks me questions about what I’m learning.  If he hears about a ladies’ Bible conference in our area, he encourages me to go. He cares about my spiritual well-being, as much as, if not more than, my physical and emotional well being.


He knows who Betty Suarez and Daniel Meade are. Now how many straight men can say that? He knows that there are a few shows on TV that I like to watch (Ugly Betty, Survivor, Real Housewives of New York and Orange County, Project Runway, House Hunters, THE OFFICE!!!!!!!) and he records them so I can watch them. Yes, they are silly shows, but he indulges me. And rather than going and doing something else while I watch them, he watches with me. Now, he may be playing a game on his phone, or doing research on his computer at the same time, but he is in the same room with me while I watch. (I’m also there when he watches his shows. Luckily, we are blessed to have a child who goes to bed fairly early.) And he makes me popcorn while we watch TV cause he knows I like that too.

He can figure out pretty much any math or technical problem you can give him. I have yet to go to a store with him, make a purchase, and him not have the total price, including tax, figured up before the cashier even finishes ringing me up. And he’s great to have around when I’m shopping the sales. He’s a math ROCK STAR. Not only does this gift come in handy when we’re shopping, it’s also great because he uses it to keep our finances in order as well.

He opens my door for me. I don’t know if I’ve ever dated anyone else who did that. He opens my car door and any other door I enter. It makes me feel special.

 

Me and Reagan at the Miss Mississippi pageant


He’s taken me to fun, exciting places I never dreamed I’d go. The first time I flew was on our Honeymoon. And he didn’t tell me where we were going on our honeymoon until we got home from our wedding. We stayed at our house our first night of marriage, and after we got home, as we were finishing packing (he did tell me what climate to pack for), he pulled out the brochures. We went to Hawaii. Every year on our anniversary we have gone to a new place we’ve never been before. Sometimes it’s far away and we fly, sometimes it’s close enough to drive. He encourages my adventurous side both in traveling and the activities we do when we travel. He encouraged me to zipline in Jamaica and Puerto Rico, to fly in a helicopter in Hawaii and St. Thomas, to snorkel in Cancun and St. Marteen, to snow ski in Colorado (and I’ve told you how that turned out), and to swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. He also took me on my first mission trip to Honduras. It forever changed my heart as to how God sees us, his children. He’s made our marriage fun in so many ways and not only allowed me to experience so many things, but he’s also encouraged me as I tried so many things.

Hawaii 1999


Orlando, Florida 2002

 

Puerto Rico, 2008


He knows I love drama. He takes me to theater shows because he knows how much I enjoy the drama, music, and dancing. I think he’s even enjoyed a few of the shows we’ve seen as well.

Annie, 2008

He’s never spoken in anger toward me – even when he has had a right to do so. He is gentle and kind, even in a disagreement. He never attacks me on a personal level. Instead, when there are issues in my life that I need to address, he lovingly helps me confront them and he helps me deal with them, or if needed, seek help from someone else who can help me deal with them.

He likes that I blog. He encourages it. He knows that by blogging I’m keeping our family memories. He enjoys reading the comments as much as I do. We both wish I’d started doing it sooner.  


Happy Birthday, Honey. Sara Madalin and I love and appreciate you very much.


post signature

3 comments:

~the mccrarys~ said...

aw what a sweet post about your husband! i can see why you've been married to him for 10 years this year!

Heather said...

What a beautiful post, very touching! You and Sarah Madalin are very lucky to have such a wonderful husband/Daddy. Happy Birthday to your great guy!

The Glenn Gang said...

Awwww...I love this! I wish more people would do it because it really helps you articulate how much you love someone. GREAT POST!

Dan loves the comments too! Do you have it set where it emails both of you? I used to have to forward all of them to Dan but now he gets them at the same time I do.

Happy Birthday to my most favorite deacon EVER!