Apr 5, 2009

It's a Jungle Out There

We decided earlier this week that if the weather was nice Saturday, we'd take Sara Madalin to our local zoo. She loves Taco.  I don't know that we've been around any pet that she hasn't liked. So, we thought she might enjoy seeing other animals as well. 

Well, the weather was beautiful, so off we went.


Before we entered the park, she had to make sure she had her sun shades on.


We started with her in the stroller, but she couldn't see things as well, so Reagan picked her up and started carrying her and pointing the animals out to her. Guess which animal she saw first?


The giraffe. 


After she spent a little time looking at the giraffe, we moved on. Reagan carried her, and I pushed her stroller. She looked back at me occasionally to be sure I was still with them.


We came upon the beautiful peacocks that roam the zoo. She was able to get pretty close to them.



Next, we came to the tigers. She wasn't that impressed with them. Maybe because they just laid there.


Look at that beautiful face. You can almost see her soak it all in. She didn't miss a thing.

Now, who do y'all think she looks like here? I think she looks a LITTLE like me. I wonder what she's thing? "Mommy, enough with the pictures." or "What's a kid gotta do to get some juice around here?" or maybe "Mommy, could we speed things along? I've got things to do." And she didn't let those sunglasses get too far out of her reach all day.


She and I watched the swan while Reagan waited for our lunch.


The elephants. It has been quite a while since I last went to the zoo. But I think I remember them being in a different area. I think the rhinos were here the last time I was at the zoo. And I remember them being cleaner. They looked like they had rolled around in the dirt for about 3 hours before we got there.

She likes riding on Reagan's shoulders. Notice the foot with the missing sock. I noticed it just after I took this picture. I just reached up and took the other one off too.


Another peacock. This one was eating some popcorn that someone had dropped near this bench. She wanted to touch the peacock so bad.


She liked the flamingos too. They actually came pretty close to her.


Here are the big rhinos. We could smell them LONG before we actually came to the area where they were.


Her favorite part of the day was the petting zoo. She first got to pet a pig.



Then, she got to see chickens and pet a goat. She loved watching the chickens and roosters. 




She and Reagan sat down and pet the pig again.



Then, we went and saw the penguin display that is going on now. I don't have any photos of it because it was so crowded in the viewing area, but she was so excited when she saw the penguins diving into the water. They were behind a glass wall so they were right next to her when they were swimming in the water. She kept trying to reach out and touch them. Because she was so excited about the penguins, we bought her a little one in the gift shop. She loved on that penguin for the rest of the day.


Of course, we couldn't go to the zoo and not ride the train. The whole ride, loving on the penguin.


Me and my Sugar-Sugar. Wonder who she loves more, me or the penguin?


Mommy, Daddy and Sugar. I told her that the last time I was on that train was the weekend after her Daddy had proposed to me. We went with Susan and David and the kids the weekend after we got engaged. That was 13 years ago. 


It was so fun to spend the day with her and see all the new, exciting things that she came in contact with. Our hope is that we can expose her to so many more things and watch her grow as she explores everything around her.

post signature

1 comment:

~the mccrarys~ said...

cute pics at the zoo! she definitely looks very inquisitive in all the photos discovering those animals!