Apr 30, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday - Kitchen Edition


Kelly has started something new over at her blog. She's calling it "Show Us Where You Live Friday."


This week's theme is to show the kitchen in your home. Here's a full shot of our kitchen.

It's not HUGE, but it is much bigger than the kitchen in our last house. I love the counter tops. They are quartz. I didn't take a close up shot, but they are beige with some orange, gold and brown flecks in them. There's also so much light. I love that. I love the lights under the cabinets.

The white box that you see under the oven is our central vac. When I sweep in the kitchen/dining room area, I just sweep the trash over to that, turn it on, and it sucks everything up. I love it. No more dustpans.

I also like the lights above the cabinets. I haven't quite figured out what to put up there or how to spruce that up. I'm open to suggestions.


Sara Madalin is such an explorer right now. I had read some where that it's a good idea to have a couple cabinets for children her age to play in. So, I put all the plastic cups and bowls in two lower cabinets. All the other cabinets will have locks on them. But she can play in these all she wants and I don't have to worry about her breaking anything.

Oh, and notice that the cabinets have drawers that pull out. That's great for someone with short arms like me. 

Our trash can also slides out.


Here's the dishwasher. It is so big and quiet. It's a good thing too, with the kitchen being right there in the open with the dining room and living room areas.


The gas stove top. I don't know if I'll ever use all those stove eyes at one time. Cooking with gas is something new to me. I like it. 


And I like the tile backsplash too. They are a terra cotta color. And they have these tin or copper tiles interspersed among the stone tiles.


Here's the microwave. Much bigger than our last microwave. 


Oh, above the stove top is a built in spice rack. I thought that was a wise use of space.


More cabinets and pull out drawers. These are located to the right of the fridge.  I placed my fine china and crystal there. Or, Jana placed it there for me.



I thought I'd also include a  "real" shot of the kitchen - one that's not quite as staged. The bottle drying rack, the bottles, the formula, the water - that's what my kitchen REALLY looks like. Oh, and there's usually a few things scattered across the top of the bar area - stuff Reagan drops on his way in the door, things I've had to move from Sara Madalin's reach, those kind of things.

Since we've just recently moved here I still have decorating to do. I'm open to suggestions anyone might have.

post signature

47 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing! I have bottle drying racks in my kitchen too! : )

The Williams' said...

Thank You! I don't mind you copying at all! I'm sure noone will notice ;) You're kitchen is beautiful as well!

Anonymous said...

I love that shade of green on your walls! Do you happen to know the name of it???

Shanna said...

Your new kitchen is BEAUTIFUL!

Beth said...

I love your kitchen! So pretty and organized :) and I LOVE the lights under the cabinets - what a good idea!

Sarah Robbins said...

So cute! I love the colors. :)

Beth Ann said...

Lovely kitchen! I had a hard time deciding what to put above my cabinets as well. I just started buying things here and there (usually Gordman's or Targat clearance). I've switched things out a few times also -- even though my husband hates when I do because that means he has to climb up on the counter tops and wait for me to tell him it's in the perfect spot!

Leslee said...

Very pretty!

Kate said...

Pretty kitchen. I love the drawers. I thought I had enough storage and counter space when we built but now I know it's never enough.

Kristin @ Blue Skies said...

What a pretty kitchen! I love the spice rack...what a great idea!

I also really like the shade of green on the walls, do you know the name/brand of paint?

Thanks!

Emily said...

Love all that storage! We're building right now, so I'm going to remember some of those ideas!

P.S. We use Dr. Brown's bottles too... they are the best!

Sugar's Mommy said...

Several people have asked me about the paint color. I'm not sure of the actual color, but I do know that it is Behr brand paint. I think Home Depot sells it.

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed visiting with you too. I love your kitchen and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your house too.

Morgan said...

Absolutly jealous of your pull out cabinets!

Channe said...

Hi - I originally came here from Kelly's Korner to see your kitchen. But then I saw "adoption testimony" on the right upper corner. I am so glad I clicked on it. It blessed me beyond words. We adopted our daughter 2 years ago. I wish that I could have met the woman who gave birth to her, but it was not God's plan for us (my daughter was born in Guatemala). I am so happy for you that you were able to be there. Thank you also for honestly admitting all the highs & lows that come along with the adoption journey.

P.S. Your kitchen is beautiful!!

Rachel McPhillips said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the green! I am super jealous of your pull out drawers and trash can. We have cabinets that have shelves at the top and I display our Alabama platters. They are decorative and it leaves more cabinet space for other things. I have also seen someone who had color coordinated appliances and they displayed theirs on top of their cabinets.

Baylee's Mommy said...

I too LOVE your kitchen! Carl wants to eventually put in quarts countertops as well. I, like you, am stumped as to what to put above my cabinets.

Becky said...

Lovely kitchen- I love the pull out cabinets that is definately a +!!!

~the mccrarys~ said...

pretty kitchen! i saw you linked on kellys korner at the top! howd you manage that?! i'm always so late posting to her page ha!
i LOVE the lights under your cabinets. we want those so bad! and that thing below the stove that sucks the dirt up is awesome! never heard of those!

Amanda (McNeely) Vestal said...

I LOVE your kitchen. So many nice add-ons! I love the spice rack! I am having the same problem with the tops of my cabinets.

Heather said...

Your kitchen is beautiful!!! Love it and your blog!! Love your backsplash!!

Pam said...

You have a beautiful kitchen. I dream of pullout drawers.

Rebecca Powers said...

I don't know why it's bothering me (still) that I can't figure out where your fridge is! lol

If you will, email me your address. I have a few pillowcase dresses that Izzy never wore that I'll send to Sara Madalin if you want them.

The Stain Family said...

Such a pretty kitchen and nice layout too! I have a Raegen of my own (not my husband, my son!). :) I've enjoyed reading a few of your other posts and your adoption story...just beautiful.

Kelley said...

I love the colors of your kitchen!

The Pifer's said...

Hi sweetie, I found your blog through a friend and I hope it's ok if I follow you!!!!

Tiffany
www.thepiferfamily.blogspot.com

Laurie said...

Your kitchen is seriously beautiful. My favorite part is the central vac!!!!

Jill said...

Your kitchen is very pretty! I love the spice rack and the lighting above the cabinets!

Kristen said...

I love that you have a spice rack like that! So nice!! You have some great extra features in your kitchen!

Lindsay said...

Oh I love your kitchen. I am having fun looking at everyone's kitchens...we are in the process of buying our 1st home...so the kitchen in our rent house doesn't count. Really, I would take one picture and be done! :) Haha, anyway I enjoyed your blog :)
~L

Erica said...

Man your kitchen is beautiful and so wonderfully organized, I love the cabinets with drawers and the built in spice rack.

Found your blog through Kelly Korner hope its okay if I follow.

http://ehaggins.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

LOVE the kitchen!! The backsplash is beautiful!

I am in love with all your ammenities. I can't wait until we can move and I can have a bigger kitchen! Mine is about half the size of yours, with about a quarter of the cabinet space.

Connie said...

I always had a cupboard that my kids could get into and play with their baking things...you could include a wooden spoon, a pie tin, a cup too. I do that now for my grandchildren. They love it and they stay out of all the other cupboards. Connie

Eaton Party of Five said...

I love your kitchen!!!! we have the pull out trash can and under the counter lights as well.....those are by far the neatest things to me!!!

Melanieshea said...

Great kitchen!!!

Sonya said...

Wow you have a lot of counter space. and I am amazed there is NOTHING on them!!

Ashley said...

I love your color and I'm jealous of the central vac! Thanks for letting us look! :o)

www.lifeofashleylancaster.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Love your kitchen! I think we live in the same area - I'm in Brandon, MS!

Ter said...

I love the spice rack idea! How unique!

Cheri said...

I love you kitchen! I want a central vac so bad - may just have to put that on the wish list for the next house we buy. If it doesn't have it, maybe my engineer hubby can retrofit one in! Thanks for stopping by my blog/kitchen.

Take care,

Cheri

Carrie and David said...

What I wouldn't give to be able to get rid of the dust pan! :o) Beautiful kitchen!

aLena said...

I Luv your tiles, they're soo beautifuL. Everything is so neat and organized, and it's really convenient how you have pull-out drawers for your cups and glasses... That's definitely something that I need LoL

Chelsa said...

i love pull outs! that is def. one of my favorite features! it's great and doesn't get near as cluttered!

Danielle said...

Thanks for the comment! Your backsplash is great! I have had central vac but I have never seen the set up under the stove...that is awesome!!

Meghan said...

Totally awesome kitchen!
WoW!

Tickled Pink Talk said...

Love you kitchen! That Central vac is fab :)
You are going to have fun decorating. A new post maybe???
Oh, Love you dishwasher too!
This is SO much fun to see everyone's homes (and lots of new blogs too)

Jocelyn said...

Very cute kitchen... I'm getting new grantie counters and a travertine/glass backsplash next week and can't wait!!