May 1, 2009

Flashback Friday #15

I killed a snake this week. I was driving home and right before I turned off the paved road onto our dirt drive, I saw a snake lying in the road. I slowed down to see if it was still alive. It was. And it was a Copperhead. We have those a lot here in our area. We saw at least one or two a summer at our old house.

So, I pulled up a little more, turned my car around and came back and ran over him. Then I put my car in reverse, and backed over him. Then, again, just for good measure, I put my car in drive and ran over him one more time. I'm pretty sure he was dead because his insides, including his spine were visible on the pavement. I don't like snakes.

Which brings me to my Flashback for this week. This is a photo of me with a snake I killed last year at our old house.


Reagan and I were about to leave our house one evening to go eat dinner. As the garage door was going up, I was walking out of the garage and I heard some movement in that area behind me in the photo, which, as I was walking out was to my right. As I heard the movement, I turned my head and saw the tail of this snake go under the air conditioning unit. I started screaming and running. Where I thought I was going, I can't remember. I was just scared. I couldn't even form the word "snake" to tell Reagan. But he knew without me having to tell him. Where ever we were about to go, we didn't. At least not for about an hour. I told him, "We are not leaving here until that thing is dead!" I didn't want to come back to the house and it still be there. 

So, he gathered a hoe and shovel and let the garage door down. (We didn't want it going in there as we were hunting it.) And we began to beat the AC unit, spray water, poke around, move pinestraw - whatever we could to get it to come back out. And it did, on several occasions. But it was fast. Finally, one of our neighbors saw us and came over. She brought us another tool she had. It was like a hoe, but wasn't curved. We continued to harass him until finally we got him back out in the open. Reagan held him down and I began to chop him with that tool. I chopped until his head was gone. Detached from his body and buried in the ground. Reagan said, "I think he's dead now."

I don't like snakes.

post signature

6 comments:

Bama Girl in AZ said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Yikes those snakes are freaking me out! I would have ran over and backed over several times! At my house - no snakes - just scorpions!

Kate said...

BLECH! Me either! I'm anti-snake all the way. 'd have gotten out the lawn mower to run it over a couple times for good measure.

Jami Ainsworth said...

I hate snakes too, but I find this very funny! I guess because I would be too scared to do it anything about them. You are very brave because I would run in the house until my husband killed the sucker...I might would drive over it, but I am not sure that I would!

Lynn said...

Girl, You aren't the only one. We killed 2 cooperheads this past week. I went out to get my big dog out of his pen to walk him and as he came out he ran straight to the left of the pen and oh my gosh, there lay about a 3 ft cooperhead. Scared me to death, well hear I have my lab and my poodle on a leash. I started called the neighbors. I didn't want to leave and go get a hoe and come back and not find it.Finally I get Billy Joe and he comes and shoots him. The next day, mother calls me at work and they find a 2 ft cooperhead outside the back door by the picnic table. Well one of the men that was working out there killed him with the hoe. I went to Lowes and got some snake away to put out. I am going to put it out this weekend. I also heard lime was good. I was told that they are going to be bad this year, so you need to be very careful.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I hate snakes....but loved finding your blog...Hope you will visit me.....

~the mccrarys~ said...

ewww snakes are awful! we get rattlesnacks in tx bad! ugh & i just saw snakes on a plane on tv the other night! ewwwwwww!