May 7, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday - Living Room Edition


I have to tell y'all, I have had the best time with this tour that Kelly is hosting. I have met some new blogging friends and I got some very helpful comments last week on how to update my kitchen. If you remember from some of the pictures from last week, the counters were bare, as was the space above the cabinets. I'm still looking for something to place on top of the cabinets (I'm thinking pineapple figures and art), but look what I did to the counters.

I saw on another blog last week where someone had taken a silver platter and painted it with chalk board paint and then wrote scripture on it. I'm thinking about doing that with the silver platter I have on the left. I just have to get up the nerve to do that. I don't think it could really hurt. I've had three silver platters since I got married and haven't used one of them in 12 years. Painting one and writing on it would at least make it useful. And cute. 

Also, I neglected to show my pantry. Here it is.


Now, on to the living room. Here's a shot from the front door. I closed the curtains so you could see what it looks like that way. All the other shots have the curtains open because I LOVE the natural light coming in from the windows.


I have nothing yellow in the living room, but I love yellow roses. They are my favorite. So, when I saw this, I bought it and it works, as far as I'm concerned.


I love the inset blinds in the windows on either side of the front door.

This is my husband's recliner. Its days are numbered. Not because it's old or ugly. But because it's a big piece of furniture that we never use. I'm lobbying for it to be moved upstairs to his office.

This is the coffee table. As you can tell, I don't keep anything on it. I tried. But I got tired of moving everything to the center of it. And when moving things to the center no longer worked, I just took everything off completely, except for the corner bumpers. Those are to keep someone's little head from being hurt on the sharp edges.


A shot of our scored concrete floors. I like them. I'd like a few rugs to cover them, but I haven't found (or really even looked for) any I like yet. 


Here is one of my favorite things in the living room. It's a painting that we bought on our first trip to Guatemala. We bought it from a guy who was selling paintings on the side of the road. Cause let's face it, aren't all great works of art purchased from a guy on the side of the road in a third world country? No, seriously, isn't it beautiful? It's a painting of the arch, which is a landmark in Antigua, Guatemala. We took it out of the frame he had it in, rolled it up, brought it home, and I had it re-framed.  I probably need to place something on the mantle on either side of it, but again, don't know what to put there. 

Here's the big screen TV that we HAD to have. Interesting thing about this TV - it only picks up FoxNews and Baby First TV from the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 7:30 a.m. and then again from 6:00 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. 

This is the playpen. It's my only means of confinement for our busy little girl. Funny thing about this playpen. If I put her in it, she fusses and cries. If I sit her down in the living room, and leave the pen open, she will crawl into the play pen and play for an hour.
We have a gas log fireplace behind the play pen. I don't know how well you can see it. We've not used it yet. One reason is that it hasn't been cold enough since we moved here. Another is WE HAVE A BIG OLE PLAYPEN IN FRONT OF IT. Hopefully by winter, the playpen will be gone and we can enjoy the fire.

Here's her other toy station in the living room. I put it behind the couch and love seat so that she can play and look outside. She likes to watch the dogs and birds out there. 

Here is my end table between our sofa and love seat. This is how I like to have things arranged on the table.


This is how things are usually arranged on the table. Sara Madalin loves to try and get the remote controls. I'm sure I am going to have to clear this table soon, just as I did the coffee table.


Here's the sofa table. It's located behind the furniture, just as you come into our backdoor. I found all these frames at Hobby Lobby. Sara Madalin is yet to be able to reach these. But I'm sure once she can, I'll have to pack these away for a while too. I am sure that a plant or basket would be cute under the table. But who am I kidding? Neither would have a chance with her and Taco around.

I can't believe I almost forgot this shot. This is why we bought the house in the first place - the view from the living/dining room.



This is our furniture that we've had for about 10 years.  I'm currently looking for new furniture (and rugs). I just haven't quite found what I'm looking for.


These are the curtains I've picked out. Because we have a wall of windows and so much sunlight comes in, I had to choose something that would block the heat and sun of the summer. Also, because we have an open plan, and the backsplash in the kitchen has terra cotta tiles, I wanted to bring that color to this side of the room with the curtains. Now if I can just find furniture to match. 



Here's another shot from the front door with the curtains open.



Well, that's it. I won't be able to post a link for the tour next week. I'll be out of town. But I will schedule my room tour with photos to automatically post to my site while I'm gone. So, bookmark my blog if you want to come back to see more photos next week. And again, thanks for visiting us. If you have any comments or decorating suggestions, I welcome them. I need all the help I can get.
post signature

55 comments:

Kelly said...

Love your floors and your view!!! Amazing!!!
Funny how we have to re-decorate when the babies come along, huh??? Your house is lovely!

Annie said...

Your living room is so big and I like it.

Thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

I love your window treatments and I'm insanely jealous of your concrete floors!

Frugal Jen said...

I have pantry and flat screen envy!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I love the contrast from your wall color and warm floors - so inviting!

Melanieshea said...

Oh your view is BEAUTIFUL and the painting....amazing! Love it!!! :o)
Let me know if you tackle the chalkboard project; I'd love to see your finished product.

Amanda said...

What a wondefully big space!! And I love the view... Very nice!

Jennifer said...

Love all the windows and the floors! And the play area is so cute!

Heather said...

Love your rooms, they are so big! You did a great job decorating! I am thinking that I need one of those playpens for my 13 month old!

Pam said...

Very nice and homey. Love your windows.

blessedmomto7 said...

It's so BRIGHT and airy! I LOVE the picture from Guatemala!

Kelley said...

Your house is so nice. I love the open floor plan. Love seeing the baby stuff too. I have been there.

Jami Ainsworth said...

I enjoyed seeing photos of your house. I would love to do this, but I am embarrassed over mine at this time. We started some major renovations last year and we're still in the middle of them. Yuck!

By the way, I also tagged you. Check out the rules on my blog, Worth Remembering. I was tagged on Jami Ainsworth Portraits, but I felt my personal blog is more appropriate for the post.

Lynette said...

Great living room, i love the wall color and you have a great view out your windows. I would leave them open too.

Crystal said...

Love it.. and the baby area too!!

Blessings,
Crystal (heart mom)

Cheri said...

Very pretty! Love your view outside - my dream is to own a home with a water view of some sort. I like hubby's chair - sure looks comfy!! (I have chronic pain and love big poofy comfy chairs! lol)

LuAnn said...

I love the flooring and natural light. Yellow is my favorite color. That is what color my living room is.

Chelsa said...

love all the windows!

The Blackwoods said...

Love your view and all the windows along your back wall! I would love to wake up to that every morning!

Tickled Pink Talk said...

Great view! Oh, I have to get one of those remote caddies!! Ours are all over the place. lol

Watts Family said...

I love your floors and you have great windows. Your view is amazing as well. This has been so much fun! Have a Happy Mother's Day!

Many Blessings,

Amanda

Michele Soon-to-be Seif said...

Very beautiful! I love your window treatments. We used to have that same tv stand!

Megan said...

I decorate my house with things that I bring home from traveling as much as I can! I keep much more in my kitchen and bedroom than I do in the living room, but doesn't it feel special to look at something and remember your trip?

And I completely agree - great things do come from a man on the side of the road in a third world country.

Snarky Mom said...

Wow, what a gorgeous view! I love your floors, they are beautiful!

Michelle said...

I love the concrete floors and big windows!

Kristine said...

I really like the floors as well! Your house is SO clean!

I also love the baby corral...great idea.

Kristine

Shari said...

LOVE the floors and the artwork!

Thanks for sharing!

Becca said...

I just LOVE your scored concrete floors - so cool! and i totally agree that as long as you love something - it works! :-) oh and that playpen looks super-fun for your little one . . . I know I will have to 'redecorate' soon when mine starts moving around! :-)

Carrie said...

I love, love, love all of your windows! Your view is wonderful! I would love to relax on your back porch!

Carrie said...

I love, love, love all of your windows! Your view is beautiful! I would love to relax on that porch!

Anna said...

Your home is lovely! Enjoyed the tour...

Carrie and David said...

I love the additions to your kitchen! And your living room is great!

Andrea said...

I LOVE your green walls. Very nice house. Thanks for sharing! :)

Jillian, Inc said...

Everything looks lovely! Regarding the chalkboard idea.... you can also just find a really pretty plate or platter (TJ Maxx or HomeGoods) and use dry erase markers to write on it. Hobby Lobby has pretty plate stands and you'll be all set!

Kate said...

You have a gorgeous home. I love your pantry.

Heather said...

So light, bright and airy. LOVE those big windows and the view...wow! Great room! Thanks for sharing and God Bless you and your little one.
Heather

Sonya said...

You have a beautiful home! Love your decorating style and I have to say that I have pantry envy!!

FiDesigns said...

What an awesome pantry! Love it

Danielle said...

The additions to your kitchen counters look great! And that was a good buy on that picture. That's great you were able to bring it home and reframe it!

noahandlylasmommi said...

Love the yellow roses :)

imjacobsmom said...

You have a lovely home. I never removed anything from my endtables and coffee table. I just said a very stern No-No! I felt that if I brought Jacob to my friends and families homes I didn't want him to touch their stuff as well. I never had to spank and I wasn't mean ( I get accused to this day of being too soft on him -LOL) but he never touched things on tables or shelves or never grabbed things off of shelves at stores. He knew and knows today that when I say no - I mean no! You have to have that "Look" so that you can shoot it at them across the room and they know exactly what you mean....LOL! ~ Robyn

*kimmie* said...

I love that it's kid friendly yet still has a classic feel. What a lovely home!

Cindy Lou said...

I love the tour of your livingroom! The view is absolutely beautiful!!!

Chic Runner said...

Love your house and view! :) That is much different than where I live in CA :) You're house is very nice though and you have quite the decorating taste. I love how homey it feels. Those couches look amazing! Sorry I was creeping from Kelly's Blog :)

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh - those windows! That view!! How nice!!

Sar(Mrs.Teddy) said...

I love that wall of windows! Its so beautiful! Your room is decorated wonderfully, you have great taste! Where did you get those inset blinds on the side of your door? We need those desperatley, everyone can see right into our house! Please comment on my blog letting me know!

bj said...

You have a lovely home and the view....TO DIE FOR...

Stephanie said...

Very nice! Love your floors, and that view!

The baby stuff made me smile. But we all have it, and you know it's worth it!

Sonya said...

I love your view! I wish I had that view!

k and c's mom said...

Love your view! The curtains are wonderful. I'd love to see the room you create around them. Thanks for the post.

Melissa said...

I love your floors, and I'm so jealous of your pantry! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Annetta said...

If you're looking for new furniture anyway....I would look into more black. There's a lot of brown in those rooms. It's kind of blends in with the floor. The curtain rods caught my attention because they're just that right amount of contrast to give it some kick! I'm thinking some kind of upholstered ottoman for the coffee table and black endtables. Maybe a black hutch in the dr too? You can always paint them if you don't want to get all new. :) Nice changes to the kitchen!!

Peterson Party of 5 said...

Beautiful!
Happy Mother's Day!
xoxo,
Doreen

The Charton's said...

I about moving in 2 wks into a house with concrete floors? Any cleaning tips?

Claire said...

I love your view! And yellow roses are my favourites too!

Cxx