May 10, 2009

A VERY Happy Mother's Day

I'm going to church today.

Now, some of you may be thinking, "Well, so am I. It's Sunday." But you see, this Sunday is different than any other Sunday before for me. It's my first Mother's Day as a mom. And I'm going to church today.

About 8 years ago, I stopped going to church on Mother's Day. I don't know about anyone else who reads my blog, but at our church, Mother's Day is a fairly big deal. There's a lot of talk about how being a mother is a high callings. People who rarely attend church are there because their mother asked them to come. We have a rose for the oldest mother present, the mother with the most children present, the mother of the youngest child, and sometimes, we even have a carnation for EVERY mother in attendance. On the last Mother's Day I attended church, there were several flowers left over after all the mothers had received one. My pastor (at the time), who I joke with about so many things, turned to me with one of the extra flowers and lightheartedly said, "Here, you want one of these?" Poor guy. He didn't have a clue what he was asking. And he didn't mean a thing by it. Truthfully, had he asked me that question a year earlier, I would have have smiled and said, "You need to get right with the Lord." and never thought another thing about it. But it wasn't a year earlier. And that day, I couldn't handle it. That day, after his question and the aching in my heart as a result of it, was the last day I went to church on Mother's Day.

But I'm going to church today.

And you know what, I don't even need a flower, or any other recognition for that matter. I've got all the recognition I need from the only person I need to acknowledge that I'm a mother. And she's going to church with me.


Me and Sara Madalin moments after her birth, Mqy 21, 2008


Arriving home, May 24, 2008


We napped together a lot those first few weeks.


My Sugar-Sugar at her dedication, June 2008


I knew it was against all the advice in the books I read, but I held her while she napped. And I don't regret it. Wish I could still do that.


She liked my make-up from the beginning. Here, she had to sit up and watch as I put it on one morning.

She always liked to sleep like this when she napped. She liked to be right under my chin. She still likes to be touching me when we sleep together. It's so sweet.

One of my most favorite pictures of us.


Dressed for her first day of Sunday School. She's been in church pretty much every Sunday since she was born, but this was her first day to go to her own class.


Lunch at Porch's with family, back in the days we still needed a pacie. 


Partied out


Exploring under my vanity


Who could resist a face like this?


Dressed to go out for dinner


Dressed for tea

post signature

7 comments:

Penny said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Your pictures are beautiful. Your love for her is evident in every picture of y'all together. Enjoy your day and your well worth the wait flower! =)

Kate said...

Gorgeous pictures!! Happy Mother's Day!!

~the mccrarys~ said...

HAPPY 1st MOTHER'S DAY!!! you're an awesome mom-I can tell by reading your blog & Sara Madalin is very lucky to have YOU as her Mommy! I'm so glad you're living your dream!

Tara said...

Happy Mother's Day to you!! I came across your blog b/c of the name. It is my first Mother's Day too and oh how I totally understand the church flowers, but after years of waiting I got one today too. Love all the pictures- your daughter is adorable!!

Katie (and Tony) said...

Love your recap with pictures. You are so loved!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

First, Happy Mother's Day! Second, our church is the same way, which is awesome, but I'm not sure anyone really knows how it affects the people in the congregation who would give anything to stand up when the preacher asks all the mothers to rise and be recognized. I didn't go to church, but I did work in the nursery so that the mommies who are normally in there, could attend the service. I'm praying next year will be my year to go to church! Thanks for the post!

Melanie said...

I know what you mean about church and Mother's Day. There was a period of time where I dreaded church, because I didn't know when someone was going to announce a pregnancy or have a baptism. I'm so blessed and thankful to have those days behind me, and I'm glad they are behind you, too!