Jun 28, 2009

How You Feelin'? HOT! HOT! HOT!

The last Saturday in June is always when the town of Crystal Springs hosts their annual Tomato Festival. I'm sure I've heard the reason behind this tradition, but I don't remember all the details. I'm sure it has something to do with all the tomatoes that are grown in this area. I think it started with people setting up vegetable stands in town on this day. And things have grown from there. Today there was quite a few craft booths and a whole street full of food concession booths.


Remember what I told you about Smith County watermelons? One of the first things we saw when we got there was a truck with a trailer attached that was loaded down with Smith county watermelons.

We could hardly walk 20 steps without having to stop. Sara Madalin had to talk to all her peeps. Our first stop was to say hey to Mrs. Dorothy.

Then we saw Ms. Shannon and Sarah Claire. She had to say hey to them.

And please tell me that this is not just a Mississippi thing - a mechanical bull set up in the middle of the town street in 102 degree weather. It is just a Mississippi thing? Oh, I was afraid of that.

Every year there is a Tomato Festival t-shirt for sale and I always get one. We got there around 9:30 and they were already sold out. But I took a picture of them. I really like the color.

Here's Mrs. Cindy and Ashley. Sara Madalin loves them. They keep her in the church nursery sometimes. I picked her up from the nursery a few weeks ago and Ashley was sitting there rocking Sara Madalin in the dark while she (Sara Madalin) slept.

Here's Cameryn. Her grandmother, Mrs. Cathy, is one of Sara Madalin's Sunday school teachers. Sara Madalin has this thing where she likes to touch people with her feet. It's kind of like a handshake to her. So, in this picture she's trying to touch Cameryn with her feet. (By the way, feet gross me out. She is the ONLY person whose feet touch me. I don't even let Reagan touch me with his feet.)

The local Cattlemen's Association always prepares and sells beef sandwiches. They put a lot of cheese and onions on them. Reagan, along with half of Copiah county, loves them. He stood in line for a good 15 minutes to get a few of these sandwiches to carry home.

And here was a sweet surprise. We got to meet a new friend, Mrs. Summer.

A few weeks ago I got this sweet, sweet email:

I just wanted to write you and let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog. I check Barbie Basset's blog almost daily and she had a link to your blog. Girl, I have spent the past 3 hours reading all about your little Sara Madalin. My name is Summer. I have a little girl as well that is 13 months old, her name is Lexi Grace. Your little one reminds me a lot of Lexi--Sara Madalin has more hair though..ha!
In reading your blog I just had this connection with you..I guess it is just the mommy in me. I have cried and laughed while reading. You are a true inspiration and a great mother.
Anyways..I just felt compelled to write you. I have bookmarked your blog and will continue to read.
Take Care,
Summer

That was so sweet. It encouraged my heart when she sent that to me. I've had people like that, from time to time, who happen to find our blog and email me to tell me how God has used it to encourage them or make them laugh or cry. But, what I'd like those sweet ladies to understand is that, when they email me or comment on our blog, it encourages me and blesses me. I started blogging to keep the memories of Sara Madalin as she grows. (I have a TERRIBLE memory and I just don't have the time to scrapbook.) But God has used this blog, not only as a ministry to others who happen to read it, He also uses it as an avenue for others to minister to me. I've been so very blessed by God who has brought so many precious new friends in to my life through blogging about Sara Madalin. He's also blessed me by allowing me to meet a few of them in person. And when Summer sent me a message about a week ago and told me that she had been out shopping for her baby girl and had found some shoes that made her think of Sara Madalin, and that she had bought them and wanted to me us to give them to her - I cried. Seriously, I did. That was so sweet and thoughtful. We talked about meeting earlier and didn't get to. Then she told me she'd be at the Tomato Festival and we decided to meet. And when she gave Sara Madalin those pretty shoes... well, as I often do, I'll let the picture speak for itself.

That was not staged. She LOVED those shoes. It was a pink pair and a silver pair of sequined Corky's. She hugged those shoes and smiled at Mrs. Summer like she'd given her gold. It brings tears to my eyes to think how this little girl has been not just a blessing to us, but to others as well. Thank you again, Mrs. Summer.

Next in our list of friends that we saw today is Racheal Beth Deaton. Her Daddy, Rick, worked for Reagan at one time. He's the one that talked us into going to see "Lord of the Rings" at midnight. And then talked us into going to "Star Wars" at midnight. When he tried to get us to go to "Spiderman" at midnight, I had to draw the line. Anyway, here is his firstborn with our Sara Madalin.

(You know it's hot when a 13 month old child is wiping her own neck with a cold wipe. She's reminds me of a Mamaw here.)

I had Reagan take a picture of this. Each year, there is an Amish family that comes to the Tomato Festival and makes homemade ice cream. They use this John Deere motor to run the ice cream makers. And the ice cream is wonderful.

And here's Mrs. Kandi. Sara Madalin LOVES Mrs. Kandi.

We actually only stayed at the festival about an hour and a half. It was just so hot. We kept pouring cold water on Sara Madalin's feet and head. She's hot natured as it is. I know she was burning up in that heat. It was so funny on the way home. She was so sleepy and the heat had just made her more so. Plus it was lunch time for her. So, I sat in the back seat with her to feed her. We only live about 8 minutes from town, but I knew she'd want to go to bed when she got home. Anyway, I sat back there and I was going to feed her. And she could barely stay awake once she was in the cool car. She had her eyes closed and her mouth open. She was torn between staying awake to eat, and just drifting off to sleep. She did finish a couple jars of baby food, but she was out by the time we actually pulled in the garage. It was a great, but HOT morning.
post signature

3 comments:

Courtney said...

It has been a while since I made it over to your blog. I enjoyed all the sweet pictures. She is growing up. I love the picture of her hugging the shoes, I think Daddy had better build that shoe closet!

Paige said...

Love all the sweet pictures! Glad you guys had a good time despite the HOT weather.

Katie (and Tony) said...

So, did you get any tomatoes at the Tomato Festival?