Jul 20, 2009

Comfort Food

A few weeks ago I joined in blog carnival sponsored by several of the blogs I follow, including Kelly's Korner and MckMama. When I participated I also signed up to receive emails about upcoming carnivals. This week's carnival is about sharing our favorite dish or recipe. Now, I will be the first to admit, I am far from Martha Stewart, but there are a few dishes I make regularly and make pretty well. One of those dishes is my Chicken Pot Pie. It's Reagan's favorite dish that I make. I think he started liking it back when we were dating. It was the only recipe I had other than Hamburger Helper. Anyway, he likes it. And he asks for it often. It's more a dish that I prefer in the winter. But I make it every few weeks, just for him, no matter what the season. I call it comfort food. It's quick, easy and kind of on the heavy side, as far as a dish goes. Want to know how to make it? Ok, here goes. But remember, you have to follow the directions SPECIFICALLY, no variations or it's not as good.

Here are the ingredients.

You start with 3 lbs. of thinly sliced chicken breast or chicken tenders. I use pre-cut chicken. You can use a whole chicken if you want. I don't know how to cut a whole chicken, so I go with something already cut up for me. So, 3 lbs. chicken. Six FROZEN deep dish pie crusts. Keep them in the freezer until it's time to put them in the oven. I'll tell you why later. Three cans veg-all. Three cans cream of chicken soup. So, to review:

3 lbs. chicken breast (0r a whole chicken - I won't judge you if you don't judge me ;-))
6 frozen deep dish pie crusts
3 cans of veg-all
3 cans of cream of chicken soup

Rinse your chicken and place it in a big pot. Boil until all the chicken is done through and white.

Once the chicken is done, drain it. I usually let it sit until it's cool. If I don't have time to let it sit, I pour it into a LARGE casserole dish and put ice water in there with it, to cool it down quicker.

Once your chicken is drained and cooling, take 3 of the frozen pie shells out of the freezer. Leave the other three in the freezer. I usually punch holes with a fork in the pie shells I take out of the freezer. I'm not sure if there is a reason, I just remember seeing my mom or someone do that. So, I do it.

Cook the pie shells at the temperature and time on the package. I cook them until they are a golden brown.

While the pie shells are cooking, take a picture of a cute, smiling little girl that you love.*
* You can omit this part if you choose. There's no way I could omit it. She's just too cute and sweet.

Once the chicken is cool enough, divide it into three equal portions. Cut or shred it and place it in mixing bowls.

Meanwhile, when the shells are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.

Back to the mixing bowls. Open and dump one can each of the veg-all and cream of chicken soup into each of the three bowls. Mix all ingredients well with a spoon.
Pour one bowl of mixture into each pie shell.

Now, take out the other three frozen pie shells. With a sharp knife, cut out the bottom so that you have a circle of pie shell.

Slowly lift the circle of dough from the pie shell.

Place the dough on top of the pie that contains the mixture.

I usually cut a few slits in the top pie crust. It helps it cook a little more evenly.

Now this next part is VERY important. You may be wondering why I make three pies at one time. Well, the first one I cover in foil and place in the freezer. I save it for a night when I don't feel like cooking, or when we have dinner at church, or if I need to take a dish to a funeral or something of that nature.

The second pie I put in the oven - cause there's no way I'm preparing this dish and not fixing one for Reagan IMMEDIATELY. I bake it at either 350 or 400 for about 15 minutes - until heated through and the top of the crust is golden brown.

The third pie is my favorite. It's the one I wrap up and pray over and take to a family in our church or community. I may take it to a shut-in or elderly couple in the church. We've taken them to single parents in our church too. Tonight we took one to a very special family.

Reagan and Sara Madalin took our third pie to Katelyn and her family. (I didn't go because I've been running a fever over 100 this afternoon. Not sure why. But I didn't think she should be around me if I was sick.)

Some of you who read our blog know Katelyn and her family. Some of you remember me mentioning her and asking you to pray for her several months ago. She's 3 1/2 years old. She was taken to see the doctor after her parents noticed her stumbling and experiencing constant headaches. The doctors discovered a tumor at the base of her brain. She's had surgery and had chemo treatments and radiation for the past several weeks. She got to come home Friday after two months in the hospital. She's a tough little girl. And her mom and dad, who are close friends of ours, have given all glory and honor to God for all He's done. I asked her mom if it would be ok if I posted her picture and told a little about her on our blog. I would never do this without their permission. But when I asked if I could post her picture, her mom said, "Oh, definitely." They want people to see and hear the great things God has done for her. She still has a way to go. I think that they've told us she's on a break in her treatments. She'll have more tests later this week or early next week to determine what steps will be needed next in her treatment. Please continue to pray for her.

Oh, and hope you enjoy the recipe. I know Reagan and I LOVE it.

post signature




MckLinky Blog Hop

19 comments:

Lori said...

I love pot pie. What a sweet story of Katelyn's strength and God's faithfulness.

Linda Benson said...

Thank you for your great recipe! I have been intending to make chicken pot pie for some time and now can with your clear directions. :)

Courtney said...

This sounds so good. You did a great job especially with all the pictures. I love what you do with the third pie. That is so sweet. I will be posting my cookie recipe later. I can't wait to see all the recipes. I am loving this blog hop thing!

Jadehollow said...

Great Recipe.. Will give it a try! Also will keep Katelyn in our prayers. Thanks for sharing the recipe and her story.
Hugs,
Debbie

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Great recipe! I love how it makes 3! One to eat, one to save, and one to give away -- so perfect!

Ave said...

I love chicken and different pies, so this seems a perfect recipe for me. So nice of you to bake for other families as well. Thanks for sharing.

Jana said...

It is def. a comfort food, do you remember the time you made it for me the night I was trying to decided whether God was wanting me to quit my job. I think I cried the entire time I was eating it but I do remember it was good! Now with the help of your pictures I should be able to make it! But I am always up to coming and making sure yours is tasting ok!
I am glad to see an update on Katelyn! I love the picture of the two girls! Both will have an amazing testimony years to come! It looks like SM is giving her alittle advice!
Love yall!

Suzan said...

I love that you make three. Chicken pot pie is a gift from the heart and one of our favorite comfort meals.

I've been struggling with my top crust and bubbling over so it was wonderful to see how you do your crust.

Also, prayers for Katelyn!

Laura said...

hi! quick question.... what are the instructions for cooking the frozen pie? Can it go straight to the oven or do you thaw first?

thanks for a great and easy recipe!

Mama M. said...

That looks pretty darn good! I'm all about ease with my cooking! I totally agree, the photo of your sweet little babe was definately took cute! What a love! God's blessings on you for being such a generous person...we could all learn a lesson from you!

Sugar's Mommy said...

You should thaw the frozen pie before cooking.

Mel4Him said...

Thanks for the wonderful Chicken Pot Pie Recipe. I've been looking for something simple and easy and this is it.

I would also like to say thanks to you and to Katelyn's family for sharing a bit about Katelyn and their testimony to the Lord's never failing love. I'm always praying that through all situations the Lord would reveal His wonderful Glory. Katelyn is pure proof that the Lord is pure love, hope, faith and truth for all. Thanks again!

Tricia said...

Looks yummy I so have to try that..
YOUR dd is beautiful too sweet

luv your DISNEY ticker wish we were going

gin said...

we have a similar recipe, but i haven't ever made more than 1 at a time.. love the idea of sharing one! it would be so easy to mix a second or third at the same time!

thanks for sharing about katelyn. we will add her to our prayer list.

blessings :)

Stacie said...

I have yet to make Chicken Pot Pie from scratch yet. Maybe I will put that on the menu sometime soon.

Paige said...

What a great recipe! I need to try that one sometime. Looks so easy.

Daveda said...

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Leigh Anne said...

Wow this pot pie seems much easier than the one I make. I'm def. going to try it!! Cute blog too!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

I love chicken pot pie. These look great!