Jul 31, 2009

Flashback Friday - 1992

I don't know if anyone else who reads this blog enjoys looking at these old pictures, but I do. And I'm so glad I get to share these pictures and stories for my baby girl to read one day. I hope she enjoys it as much as I do.

Today I'm looking back at my freshman year of college. I went to a community college right out of high school. It was one of the best years of my life. I lived in the dorm. My roommates were my best friend from high school and a new girl, a sophomore, that I didn't meet until I moved into my dorm. God knew what he was doing when he put the three of us together. We were so much a like, yet so different. We were all smart girls, good girls, and goofy girls. Let's let the photos speak for themselves.

Here's my new roommate, Penny Bean (not her real name ;-)). She was a Sophomore.

Here she was modeling a straw hat that originally hang as a decoration in our dorm room. Your guess is as good as mine as to why she decided to put it on her head.

And here she is telling her infamous "Wide Mouthed Frog" joke. I can't even retell the joke. But it's even funnier than this picture of her.

Oh and that guy next to her on the couch - he is now her husband, Rod. They weren't even dating at this time.

Here Penny and I are state BSU (Baptist Student Union) convention at Gulf Shores Baptist Assembly on the MS gulf coast.

WHAT was my hair doing? Who knows.

And here is Paige, me, and Penny at a BSU Christmas party. I love these girls.

It's so funny how God works. I still keep in touch with these girls. I don't talk to them every week or every month. But when we talk, it's as if no time has passed. We were all in each other's weddings. We all married great, Godly men. And God has blessed us all with wonderful children. Paige has REALLY been blessed - 7 kids and counting. These girls helped disciple me. They helped teach me the importance of a relationship with the Lord. And they taught me that laughter makes a lot of things more bearable.

Speaking of laughter, I can't talk about these girls without sharing a few funny stories. But which do you share when there are so many? And they probably won't be funny to anyone but me. But I'm gonna share them anyway.

The one that we all remember the best is the night that Paige and I sat in the bath tub with the curtain drawn for over an hour while we waited for Penny to come back from night class. We were going to try and scare her. Cause that's what friends do. They hide in the bathtub and sing songs and act out their favorite television commercials until their third roommate comes home. Didn't everyone do that in college? Or not? Am I totally changing everyone's opinion of me?

Anyway, Paige and I waited in the bathtub (we had a private bath in our dorm room) for Penny to come in from class. When she came in, we got quiet. She came in and, um, sat down, to you-know, do her business. That's all we could take. One of us let out a snicker. And one of us poked the shower curtain. I think it kind of frightened Penny. No, I KNOW it frightened Penny. Can't imagine why. I mean coming in to your dorm room, going to the bathroom and having your roommates waiting behind the drawn shower curtain is perfectly normal. Perfectly sane. Ahem.

Penny and her husband - and maybe her kids - are supposed to come over for dinner tonight. I can't wait to rehash all those memories like old friends do. Maybe she'll remind me of another story I can share on the blog. Oh, and maybe she'll tell the "Wide Mouthed Frog" joke and I can video it. Oh, I can hardly wait.

post signature

2 comments:

Penny said...

I enjoy your flashbacks. The 80s clothes and hair--- what's not to love? LOL
Seriously, it gives us a glimpse into who you are, besides Mrs. Reagan and Sugar's mommy. I would've liked you knowing you back then. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I like the wide mouth frog joke, too. It's good clean fun. =)

Courtney said...

It is great to flashback and see you in your college days. Have a great time at dinner tonight!