Aug 27, 2009

If It's Not One Thing, It's Roseola

So, Sara Madalin has been sick this week. If you're a regular reader of our blog, you've probably seen me mention it. Well, now we know what her MAJOR ailment is. It's something called roseola.

What is roseola?

I'm glad you asked, 'cause I was going to tell you whether you wanted to know or not. But let me digress (as is my nature) just a bit.

Sunday Sara Madalin was fine. She was happy, active, mischievous - her regular HANDFUL of a self. Monday morning, we got up and went about our routine and thought she was fine. Then, right after I dropped her off, Mrs. Gail discovered she was running fever. (Remember that, because I'm gonna come back to it.) Reagan went and picked her up and took her to see her pediatrician. They did several tests and everything came back negative. Dr. R. sent her home and told us to keep a check on her temp and as long as she was running a fever to give her Tylenol or Motrin every 8 hours. We did that. And as long as her fever was down, she was fine. She played and laughed and chased Taco and ate and all the other things she does.

But her fever kept coming back. Because she was still running fever, she stayed with me Tuesday. I took her back to the doctor's office on Tuesday because we already had a well-baby check up scheduled. They could only do measurements and that type thing. No shots because of her fever. He did tell me though, if her fever went away in the next day or two, to keep an eye on her to see if she broke out in a rash on her body from her waist up. He said that he'd seen several cases of something called roseola. He said it was in the MEASLES family, but not as serious.

Roseola? What's that? Measles???? To a first-time mother, nothing is "not as serious." EVERYTHING, even a hangnail, is SERIOUS. So, I did what any other sensible, calm, concerned mother who cares for the well-being of her precious child would do. I looked it up on WebMD. And this is what I found.


Ok...

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!?! My baby is going to look like this??????? For those of you who know me in real life - you know I didn't freak out AT ALL when I saw this. Only just COMPLETELY!

So, does someone ask for submission of pictures of children who have this, and a panel decides to pick the SCARIEST picture from the bunch and publish it? Cause that's what it looks like to me. Oh, and the information that accompanies the picture...

It's a virus that "belongs to the family of herpes viruses."

Yeah, my heart stopped when I read that. I don't know a lot, but I think I remember from junior high health class that "herpes" is not something you want to have. But I read on...

The viruses "do not cause cold sores or ... infections... They are spread through tiny droplets of fluid from the nose and throat of infected people when they laugh, talk, sneeze, or cough. Roseola mostly spreads from infected people who don't show symptoms."

Good to know.

Sara Madalin most likely caught something from someone TALKING or LAUGHING near her. Someone who, by the way, doesn't even know they have this virus. So, new rule around my baby - no one talks or laughs in her presence. NO ONE. And I mean it.

Roseola usually starts with a "sudden, high fever." So... I'm not a neglectful mother who didn't even realize her child had a fever when she dropped her off at the sitter's Monday morning? That makes me feel so much better.

The main symptoms are the high fever and the rash. And the rash, it's not supposed to be itchy. As a matter of fact, I don't even think Sara Madalin knows she has it. I tried to take a picture of her back - which, by the way, looks NOTHING like that picture. But she wasn't having it. That would have meant that she'd have to be still for all of 5 seconds. And I can almost imagine her thoughts on that, "Mommy, you are CRAZY if you think I'm stopping for that long. Roseola ain't got nothing on me."

Yes, dear, Mommy does tend to veer toward the crazy (and overly dramatic) side from time to time. Thank you for making me aware of that.

So, in all seriousness (cause I'm nothing if not serious), I'm glad she's only got a small rash with a little fever. It could be so much worse. I'm so thankful that it's not. The only thing that's been somewhat of an inconvenience has been keeping her away from everyone because of the fever. It's not that the rash is contagious to adults or children over 4 (according to WebMD) but we still have to keep her away from children her age and younger. I'm sure she'll be her PERFECT self in just a matter of days. But, in keeping with all things blog-worthy, I had to record her first brush with ill-health.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've had a little tickle in my throat this week. I need to see what WebMD says about that.

post signature

7 comments:

Queen B. said...

sending warm wishes and prayers your way...

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Malinda, so sorry your baby is sick. I hope she gets better soon.

I featured your office space today, so take a look. :)

southerninspiration said...

Malinda, what a funny post.......but we've all been there, right? with a minor ailment that was sure to be the overthrowing of all that is good.....glad to hear she is perking along, and I look forward to seeing how your office space is coming along.....saw it featured today on Rhoda's blog!

suzanne

Stephanie Moore said...

Hope she's feeling better! And by the way....I, too, ALWAYS consult with WebMD. I'm sure the doctor's love us! ;o)

K Storm said...

I look up everything on the internet too...we moms have to be informed...my babies got all kinds of stuff.

Lauren said...

You can make any situation into a funny story! I love reading your blog!

Avery's Mommy said...

lol you sound JUST like me when avery got that virus that was in the herpes family. i thought we didn't have to discuss herpes with her until 'the talk'! hehehe.

Hope the rash clears up and she is all better soon!