Dec 27, 2009

Miss Independent

Sara Madalin has been feeding herself finger foods for a while. I'll let her eat pieces of pizza or chicken nuggets cut into small pieces. But there are some foods, like spaghetti or mac-n-cheese, that I still try to feed her myself. Well, I found out last week that she is too independent for her Mommy to feed her - even the sloppy food. I fixed her plate and sat down at her table to try and feed her. She would not eat. So, I handed her the fork and let her try. And she ate almost the entire plate of food.

I did say ALMOST the entire plate of food. A lot of it ended up on her shirt and on her face.

And she's not quite mastered eating with a utensil. She'll hold the fork in one hand, and pick up her food with the other hand.

But at least she's eating.

She's becoming quite independent and learning to speak her mind. When she wants a bite of something, she's starting to say "Pees" (Please) or do her sign for "more". Not every time. But a good bit of the time. When she doesn't want something, she'll say, "Uh-uh" and turn her head away. So, she's learning to communicate with us. Which is a good thing. Up until now there's been a lot of whining because she just can't communicate with us. She's also following direction a little better. We'll tell her to go get her cup (from where ever she left it) and she'll get it and bring it to us. We have a long way to go, but she's getting there.

I was thinking a few days ago about this past year. Last year we celebrated having a baby. We talked about how that baby had changed our lives. We no longer have a baby. We have a child - a little girl - with a mind and feelings and thoughts and attitude and personality all her own.

Now if we can just harness that mind and those feelings and thoughts and attitude and personality for GOOD instead of mischief... I think that will be our challenge this next year.

post signature

3 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, how I remember these days and I can't believe I'm about to say that I miss them! Your daughter sounds SO much like my Baby Girl when she was that age! Very independent and wanting to do everything by herself. Just let her. Enjoy it while you can! Before long, she'll be playing on a Leapster all day!

Heather said...

Super cute pictures. I love all the messy face pictures I have of Gia eating spaghetti, and watching her try to eat fistfuls of it at one time is just priceless. I'm impressed with Sara Madalin's skills with utensils. Gia just started asking for a fork and will now eat with one (she will be two in another month).

Courtney said...

I love the messy face pictures!