Jan 25, 2010

Church

Sunday morning before we left for church, one of us said to Sara Madalin, "Come on. Let's go to church." She said, "Church." We thought it was so sweet. She's saying so many things, but I am glad that is one word in her vocabulary.

I got a quick video of her once we got in the car. She looks tired. Actually, that's the first time she'd slowed down all morning.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but we started reading a discipline book a few weeks ago called "1-2-3 Magic for Christian Parents."

I know that many parents go through a period with toddlers where they think, "I am getting on to her ALL the time and nothing is working." I was really upset for a period because I felt like I spent all my time with Sara Madalin spanking her and fussing at her not to do something. I talked about it with Nicki when we were there a couple months ago and she mentioned this book to me. So, we ordered it and thought we'd give it a try. It basically teaches Biblical principles on discipline and how to train children "in the Lord." We have tried to practice the principles, and they do work. If you're consistent. Which we (Reagan and I) need to work on. I've noticed how Sara Madalin does recognize that when I start counting, she's supposed to stop. And sometimes she does. Other times, when I start counting, she just tries to destroy or do whatever she's doing FASTER because she knows, "Ok, I've got until Mommy gets to 3 and then she's moving me from this to time out." So, it's a great book with wonderful teachings. But we have to keep working it in order for it to work for us.

All that to say, Sunday night we started attending a discipleship class taught by one of the authors. He is a staff member at a local church. We visited there Sunday morning and saw that he was starting a discipleship class for Parents of Preschoolers. And he's basically taking his book and teaching the principles. We really enjoyed the class. It was good to be with other parents who are going through many of the same struggles that we are with our toddler, and are seeking Godly wisdom to deal with those struggles. (Not "good" that we're all having struggles. But good that we're going through it together.) It was also encouraging to actually speak to the author and hear him tell real life stories of disciplining his children.

So, I guess you could say, we had a good day at "church." God is faithful and good, whether we're struggling or celebrating, and I'm so glad that He provides us with opportunities to worship, learn, and grow in Him.

post signature

2 comments:

Ashlee McCrary said...

I will have to check out that book. Thanks for sharing! I too have been in those shoes where I feel all I do is discipline!

K Storm said...

It is nice to know you are not alone. Sounds like an interesting book and class!