Jan 30, 2010

Memories for My Girl - From My Childhood

I mentioned a week or so ago in THIS POST that I'd ordered a journal to share some of my life and memories with Sara Madalin. I thought I would share a few of the less personal stories here from time to time. I'll start today by telling a little about me.

What was the day of my birth?
I was born August 23. We won't bother with the year. (Ahem.)

Where were you born?
I was born in central MS

Name your brothers and sisters how old you were when they were born.
Brandi - I was 3 years-old when she was born. My mother tells me that not long after they brought her home that I came running from the room where Brandi's bed was and shared with her that I had turned the baby over in her crib because she didn't want to lie the way she was anymore. Scared my mama just a little bit.

Beth - I was 7 years-old when Beth was born. She was so cute. And she had red hair like me.

Tommy - I was 11 when Tommy was born. He was not planned. My parents were very excited though to finally have a son.

Tell a nickname your family gave you and how you got it.
My daddy's oldest sister, Aunt Ohnee Dee (not sure I spelled that correctly), gave me my first nickname - Minda Girl. She called me that until she passed away.

My daddy called (and still calls) me Sister. He also called me Frying Pan. My middle name is Dianne and he would call me Frying Pan Dianne or just Frying Pan. Why? Probably for no other reason than that my whole family is crazy.

In high school I had friends that nicknamed me Mindy and Red. Then in college, there was a guy that dated my roommate that called me Dynomite. I'm thinking that was because of my fiery red hair and explosive personality. Ha.

Tell about the naughtiest thing you ever did as a child. Describe the consequences.
This is probably not the naughtiest thing I ever did as a child, but I still remember it to this day. I had a friend in elementary school, Ife (EE-Fay) Williams. (We are now friends on Facebook. She moved after our 4th grade year and I've never seen or heard from her until about a month or so ago. It's that amazing?) Anyway, Ife's mother was crafty. Ife drew my name at school to exchange a Christmas gift with me. Cabbage Patch dolls were at the height of their popularity. Ife's mother hand-made me my own version of the Cabbage Patch doll.

HAND-MADE. No sewing machine. Every stitch was by hand. It was the only one of its kind.

I really liked the doll. My mother LOVED the doll. She thought it was very special. Looking back, I see how right she was.

Well, my mama and daddy told me not to take the doll to school. What did I do? I took the doll to school. And my sister, Brandi told on me. I got a spanking. Mean, old Brandi. I have no idea what happened to that doll. I bet Brandi got it and did something with it. Ha.

post signature

No comments: