Feb 11, 2010

Where's the Magic?

A few weeks ago I wrote THIS POST about a book we've read, 1-2-3 Magic! for Christian Parents that teaches "time out" as a form of discipline. We've also been able to attend a class at church led by one of the authors. Well, we've been trying the counting and the time out. At first we weren't very consistent. As the WEEKS have passed, we've counted to 3 so much that Sara Madalin is starting to count back at us. I'll say, "That's one." SM says, "One."

Wednesday night I took a few pictures of her in time out. I think she likes it there.

She got time out - in just one night - for standing in her rocking chair, climbing on TOP of her table in the dining room, putting a decorative heart in her mouth, pulling dirty dishes out of the dishwasher as fast as I loaded them, dumping her soup out on the table and spreading it around with her hands, spitting out soup I had fed her and throwing it on the floor, and trying to put a bath mat in the tub being filled with bath water.

Each time I put her in time out, she stays for AT LEAST 1 1/2 minutes (sometimes a little more). And each time I go in to pick her up, this is the look on her face.

Can't you tell how devastated she is about being placed in time-out?

post signature

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I use the time out with my nephew. It was rough at first but now Aunt Court has no behavior troubles with him. The most important thing that I have found is being consistent he knows that if I threaten time out I carry through. They are so smart. Keep up the good work, it will pay off in the long run.