Mar 1, 2010

A Lasting Engagement

Friday night Reagan and I went to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Shapley's. It was wonderful.

We went there because, 14 years ago today, Reagan took me there for dinner the night he proposed to me.

We'd been dating for a little over a year. We had talked about marriage and we were pretty sure that we'd marry each other. (Ha.) But we'd never really said, "When we get married..." or anything like that. He'd tried to get me to look at rings one day when we were out shopping in the mall, but I really wouldn't look at anything seriously. I just made a joke of it. I wasn't expecting us to get engaged or married for another year or so. I was still in college and I thought surely he would wait until I had my degree.

He took me to dinner that night and then back to his house. We were watching TV and he turned the TV off and I can't really remember everything he said, but it was so sweet. I still had no idea he was about to propose to me. I just thought we were talking and he was saying sweet things. Then he got down on his knee and proposed. Of course, I said yes, otherwise there would be no story to tell today.

As a celebration of that night, we try to go to Shapley's every year near or on the anniversary of our engagement. And each year, our lives have changed more and more.
post signature

3 comments:

The Glenn Gang said...

Yeah, it would be really awkward for you to be sharing an engagement story on this blog had you not said yes. I'm really, really glad you did!!

K Storm said...

That is so sweet! We like to go there for special occasions. We can't go to some of our special restaurants anymore...New Orleans Cafe and Iron Horse Grill.

Amanda Negley said...

That is such a sweet story! Happy Engagement Anniversary!