Apr 24, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

Tomorrow is my Sunday to bring breakfast to Sunday School. I could have bought a couple packs of Martha White Blueberry muffin mix and been safe. Oh, but no. I set my eyes a little higher than that. I got the bright idea to bake - FROM SCRATCH - PW's Cinnamon Rolls. I figure either I'll soar high or crash hard.

Turns out, they aren't that difficult to make. Just a little time consuming. But seeing as how my BIG girl who, as of this week, no longer sleeps in a crib, came running into my room at 6:00 this morning, I had a little time on my hands.

So, I got all my supplies out and made my dough. Did you catch that? I MADE the dough. I do have a couple confessions to make. One of which is that I never in my life have made ANYTHING that required me to add yeast to the ingredients. So I could have stopped right there and been proud. But, of course, I didn't stop. I finished the dough and filling, rolled it into a big tube, then cut it into small pieces to place in the tins.

If you look closely at that picture above you'll see the rolls swimming in something yellow. That's 4 sticks of butter.

By the time I was done, my kitchen sink was overflowing. Good thing the maid comes soon. (I'm kidding. I am the maid.) Confession number 2 - I have owned my rolling pin for about 13 years. Today was the FIRST time I ever used it.

And here are the finished pans of rolls. They were freshly iced so the icing hadn't had time to seep down in between the rolls yet. By Sunday morning they will have soaked up some of the icing and be really yummy. The icing called for 1/4 C of strong coffee. I think next time I'll omit that part. Not that it tastes bad. I just would rather my icing be clearer.

I made some extra. So, we tried one - or three. They were so good that after I ate one, I went and brushed my teeth because I could feel the cavities beginning to form. They are a tad sweet. But anything that sweet can't be bad.

All that and I was finished before 9:30 a.m. Just in time for breakfast.

I'll let you know how it goes over with the class.

post signature

7 comments:

Lauren said...

So glad to see you back! I hope you had an amazing week off:) And I so wish I could just have a tiny taste of those cinnamon rolls!!!!

Courtney said...

These sound so good, I am sure they will enjoy them.

Amanda said...

Oh those look SO yummy! I've been wanting to try them, but I'm scared =P so now I might try them since you said they were super easy.

I hope your week went well, and you got some answers you were looking for, I prayed for you guys a lot!

Amber said...

LOVE your blog and precious SM! :) She always makes me smile! I am a friend of Nikki's and found your blog through her ~ Think I may try these rolls this summer...if I can get brave enough!

The Glenn Gang said...

SO impressed! I'm thinking we let Reagan get off his feet at least one day while you are here and we tackle those!

Jennifer said...

Oh Heaven! Those looks sooo de-lish! Too, I hope you all were able to dodge the storms...have heard on the news that MS got hit pretty hard. Hope you enjoyed your "unplugged" time. Afterall, it's not a bad thing to do now and then...because we can get so "unfocused" . Thankfully, HE is right there ready to continue.

Deb K said...

Those look so good!!

Following you from MBC :-)

You can find me here~

http://debshere.blogspot.com/