May 24, 2010

Party at the Zoo

Saturday afternoon we had Sara Madalin's birthday party at the zoo. I don't know what I was thinking when I planned this party. It was in February or March that I made the reservations, so I wasn't thinking at the time about the sweltering heat of a May afternoon in Mississippi. I had three options for time: 9:00 a.m., which I thought was too early for a party, 11:30 a.m., which is right in the middle of SM's nap time, or 2:30 p.m. I chose 2:30. Even the animals know it's too hot at that time for a party. But, the plans were made and we went through with it. She had lots of family and friends show up and she enjoyed herself. That's all that matters.

I ended up with over 150 pictures from the party. You'd think it would be difficult to narrow all those down to just a few to blog about. But not really, when you have a couple dozen photos of this quality...

Exciting stuff, huh? After I weeded through photos of people's backs and photos of animals heads (no body or activity, just their heads), I found a few cute photos of those who attended the party.

As I said, Sara Madalin had lots of family - her Papaw and Mamaw, and of course her Su-Su and Uncle David and Mitch. But she also had another cousin show up. Here' s Audrey Claire who came with her mom, Lauren, and her Re-Re and Papaw Harold.

SM and Audrey Claire are like night and day. SM runs a mile a minute and is into EVERYTHING. Audrey Claire is calm. She listens and walks close to her mommy or lets her Re-Re carry her. I'm not sure she knew what to think of a wild little girl like Sara Madalin.

Here's Addison. She came with her Mi-Mi, my friend Renee. She and I share a birthday. She's a smart, sweet little girl.

And here are Connor, Granny and Andrew. Gramps came with them. I've blogged about them before. Andrew was very attentive and sweet to Sara Madalin throughout the party.

Opening gifts

This is Lexi. Her mom is Summer. I've blogged about our first time meeting her and about painting with her at Easely Amused. Lexi gave SM all kinds of things for her birthday. One was the cup she's drinking from in the picture below.

As we were walking over to the animal encounter where the children could see animals up close and touch them, we came upon some water misters. I think we should have just rented a few of those and called that a party. They loved the misters.

You can't tell how pretty it is in some of these pictures, but the dress Sara Madalin is wearing was a birthday gift from my friend Regina. She said she ordered it off Etsy. I love Etsy. And this dress is made so well and the fabric is so cute. I think I'll have to get her a few more for the summer.

Looking at the animals up close.


She was so funny. She would touch the turtle and then squeal. That's what she's doing in the next picture.


She's so curious. She noticed that the zoo worker was wearing a backpack. She HAD to check it out. The worker told her it was her water pack.

Next, they all rode the carousel.


Connor didn't ride. He was determined to catch the peacock that was roaming in our area.


Finally, we rode the train. Here is Will and his dad Henry. His mom Carla was also there.

Audrey Claire had about all the excitement she could take. She fell asleep on the train and I think she was out for most of the rest of the party.

We got to see and hear about a few other animals in the zoo. Here are the giraffes.





And the "monkeys." They would blow kisses to get a treat. So now when we mention the monkeys to SM, she starts blowing kisses like this one did.



She was soaked by the end of the day.


We finished up the party with cupcakes and ice cream.


Next year, we're going back to a water-themed party. I just don't think the older "children" at the party can handle the heat. Ha.

We were so grateful to all who came out and celebrated with us. It's wonderful to see the people who love and care for her as we do. I know she enjoyed herself and it was a great party for her.

post signature

4 comments:

Regina and David said...

Glad she had a fun party. Wish we could have been there in person!

Laura said...

What a great party! But I totally understand about the heat! We had Alise's 3rd bday party at our church's playground and I swore we would NEVER have another outside party! The humidity was just awful! Happy Bday, SM!!

Casey @ If The Crown Fits said...

Oh my goodness, what fun! I love her curls by the way!

Courtney said...

What a great party. I wish it were cooler for you guys, but it looks like everyone had fun. I remember a few years ago I took my first graders on a field trip to the zoo and their favorite part of the day was the misters.