Jul 8, 2010

Flower Power - Sara Madalin's Room Make-Over

I knew when we moved into this house that I would want to change several things about it. I love the layout and the spaciousness. But the colors and quality of work in some areas were things that we wanted to change.

We started with the guest bedroom. Then Reagan and I painted the office/craft room upstairs. Then, we chose to hire someone to paint the rest of the house. After 3 months of painting (and one minor flood in our laundry room, closet, and master bath) it appears that I've finally moved from the painting stage to the re-decorating stage. Over the next few weeks, I plan to post some before and after pictures as I pull our rooms together. The first room I'll show is Sara Madalin's bedroom. There are still a few things I want to do, but for the most part, it is done.

Here are a few pictures of her room before it was painted. It was taupe. Every room in the house was a shade of this color. (Except the living/dining room/kitchen area, which was green.) To me, the color was cold and hard.



I've rocked Sara Madalin in the chair in the next picture since she was about 6 months old. Before we started painting her room, she'd gotten to where she wanted to be rocked less and less in the past several months. Removing it was one of the changes we made to her new room. I'm a little sad about that.

When I began to look at new options for her room, I found some things on the Pottery Barn Kids web site that I liked. When we were in New Orleans recently, we purchased a quilt and this rug. It's where I pulled the wall color from for her walls.

The color I chose was a yellow. I can't remember the exact color name. I had a Benjamin Moore paint swatch that I took to Sherwin Williams and they color matched it for me.

Sara Madalin's crib is a convertible bed. We've converted it once to a toddler bed. Once we painted the walls, brought in some things, and took out some other things, we thought we would go ahead and convert it to the final stage, a double bed.


So, we went to Sam's to buy a mattress for the bed. While we were there, her Daddy found this.

I have to admit, I'm happier with a twin bed than a double at this age. And it's cute. We decided to only buy the mattress without a set of box springs. I just thought it would be too tall with both right now.

Here's a shot of her room now from the entrance.

I have some vinyl word art ordered for above the headboard. Once it's up, I'll post a picture of it. And I plan to look for something to put on that wall to the left of her bed.

Here's a closer shot of her bed.

After you enter the room, her dresser is on the wall to the right. I have her "special" things there - books and pictures and toys I don't want her to play with without supervision. I plan to change the drawer knobs in the near future. I'll also change them on her nightstand so that they all match.

Notice, there's no changing pad. We're working on that potty training hot and heavy right now. She wears pull up while at home in the afternoons and evenings. She has even gotten to wear big girl underwear a few times. Then I put a diaper on her before she goes to bed.

Her little toy area.

My blog friend, Rhoda, helped me with choosing colors and giving me some direction to get started in this room. I told her that the only things I definitely wanted to keep were these two paintings. I bought them just a couple weeks before Sara Madalin was born.

Reagan and I think that scripture memorization is important. One way that we can help Sara Madalin, and ourselves, memorize scripture is by posting verses in different areas of our home. Maybe, by the time she's in junior high school, she'll have these verses, and a couple more, committed to memory.

Here's MY BEE!. He's a very important asset in this new room.

Her kitchen set and table. She's had fun with both in there.

I've also had Reagan hang new curtains in her room. My friend, Nicki, suggested we put up some black out curtains. (She suggested this after we recently spent 7 days with them and my daughter woke up the entire house every morning at 6:00 a.m.) These are supposed to help keep out more light. Our goal was to "help" Sara Madalin sleep a little later in the mornings. FYI: they don't seem to be working. She still gets up around 6:00 or 6:30, no matter what time we put her to bed. Occasionally, there is a day when she'll sleep until 7:00. Anyway, we're still hoping. I need to let the hem out or add some fabric to the bottom. They are a little short.

Finally, here is her little bookcase and a sweet picture of us between her closet and door.

And here's our girl the first night she got to sleep in her new bed.

She came into the room and started climbing up into it. Then she looked at me and said, "Daddy fix it." I said, "Yes. Daddy fixed it for you."

We put her to bed and she finally went to sleep. It was different for her, so it took a little while for her to settle down and go to sleep. When I went in to check on her before I went to bed, this is how I found her.

I moved her to the correct end of her bed, and she slept there for the rest of the night.

To guard against any accidents from her falling, right now we kept her crib mattress in there and placed it on the floor beside her bed. I also stacked up those green pillows and MY BEE! beside the bed too. We have rails, but haven't put them on the bed yet.

Now, I could post nothing more than these staged photos and probably get a few comments about how cute her room is. And I agree, it is cute. But it only looks like this for about 5 minutes each day. I try to pick it up at night before she goes to bed, or in the morning after we get up. As soon as she starts playing in there, it takes on a whole new look.

She has to pull out every toy, every pair of socks, and every shoe that she has in there. At least she's enjoying it. I think it's cute and bright. Just like her.

I'll show her bathroom and an update of the guest room next week.

post signature

36 comments:

ashia said...

i love it. we bought our daughter the convertible crib, too, and in espresso stain. now i'm regretting it, and wishing that we would've gotten white, so my hubby has already said that i can get her a twin bed in white when she gets bigger. i love how you did her room! SO cute and different from just being original pink.

Carrie said...

Her room is adorable! You did a great job!

Regina and David said...

I love her new room!! it's very cute and cheery! you did a great job.

The Glenn Gang said...

WOW! I love it...and that bed is so precious! I thought about doing a twin bed for Jonah rather than double when I redo his room but I LOVE laying next to him doing prayers and reading stories. And, we he doesn't behave at nap time, I have comfortable place to lay as I threaten him if he moves again! HA!

Sorry the blackouts didn't work for you. Maybe they only work on houses in Florida!! So, maybe you should move here! :-)

Baylee's Mommy said...

I LOVE IT! You have given me inspiration for Baylee's room. We converted Baylee's crib to a toddler bed right before turning 2. Carl is now wanting to covert it to the full size. I bought the blackout curtains for Baylee's room a few weeks ago. They really seem to be working. She started waking up every morning shortly after 5:00 a.m. (my alarm doesn't even go off until 6:00). Since putting them up she has been sleeping past 6:15 each morning and one morning it was well after 7:00 when she woke up. Can't wait to see more pics! 2 thumbs up :)

K Storm said...

So cute! What a big girl! I am proud of her!

Penny said...

Too cute! Yellow is my favorite color. :)

Laura said...

Of course, I love her room!! Yellow is so bright and cheery. We saw that bed at Sam's too, but have our hearts set on a full size because Alise is getting older and will probably be having sleep overs. We did the trundle thing with a daybed we had and I'm just not interested in doing that again. And I love your floors, too. I know you don't but that shine and scoring is just awesome!

Ashlee McCrary said...

My goodness that's a precious room she has! Love the new look! My friend bought the same bedding in the crib version for her daughter to put on her toddler bed. You picked such an adorable set! She's such a big girl now!

Gette said...

Love her new room! You did a great job. Very inspiring! My son is ready for his toddler bed. We're still setting up his room.

Jennifer said...

Cute cute room.....a room fit for a princess!

Paige said...

What an adorable room! Love the color palette. So fitting for a little girl. She looks so big in her bed. Gosh - she is growing up soo fast! Enjoy all the little moments - including picking up after her! : )

Kelly said...

Her room is ADORABLE! I love it! It's as cute as she is! (i love the picture of where she ended up sleeping - that's hilarious!)

Courtney said...

It looks great!

And the picture of her at the foot of the bed is hilarious and priceless.

The Pressley Family said...

Very cute! Our girls have the same sheets:)

The Gallup Family said...

I love the bright colors. Too cute!

The Mama said...

I love it!! It looks so great, and she is so adorable!!

Emily Dupuis Powell said...

Her little bed is so cute and SO IS SHE!

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot! said...

I love her big girl room! My nieces have the same bedding, but I like the way you did it with yellow walls and pink accents! I also love love love the bed! It's adorable, I will have to keep Sams in mind when my girls are ready because I'd totally go for that bed as well!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Her room is SO cute! And she is absolutely precious. Love your blog, by the way...look forward to following along! :)

Kim said...

I love the room. I love that it's a little girl's room to the core!!! Definitely some inspiration for when we graduate from the crib. The bed is awesome

mel @ the larson lingo said...

very cute room! The bed is simlilar to my older daughter's bed! And, we have that same doll house bookshelf in my younger daughter's room!

Mom2One said...

I love the sunny yellow on the walls! Beautiful room!

Trac~ said...

Hi there! I'm stopping by from Kelly's Korner to say hello and tell you how much I LOVE her room and the colors you chose - it is just too precious (even when it's messy) LOL. Have a great day! :o)

Stephanie said...

Very cute room! Love it.

Marianne said...

What a happy room! Just makes me want to smile "visiting" SM in this sunshiny girly room!

Tiffany said...

I love yellow in a little girls room, and you picked such a pretty buttery yellow! I am excited to read your adoption story on your blog. We are in the process of adopting our son from Ethiopia. Your daughter is such a cutie with that crown of ringlets!

The Estes Family said...

First of all her room is precious but not as precious as she is!!!! I am an adoptive mom too....and they are all worth the wait for sure!!!

That's Who I Am said...

Very cute room! She is adorable as well:) Your blog is so cute!!

~Jamie Kubeczka~ said...

Very cute! I love her big girl bed!

Marla said...

Beautiful!Love the rug!

Staci said...

What a beautiful, cheerful room. And your daughter is such a cutie. I have curly haired girl, myself. Got to love them!

http://camachohouse.blogspot.com/

Maria said...

Adorable room, but even MORE adorable daughter. I spotted your adoption story and read every bit of it and am still weepy after watching the precious video. We adopted our daughter just a few weeks after yours. I can relate to your journey or struggle and your pure joy of enjoying this precious little life. Blessings to you. :)

The_Richards said...

I love that. I make vinyl lettering and decals and would love to do something for you. Check us out on facebook. facebook/altardhome

Bonnie said...

Her room is so cute & I LOVE her hair!

Todd and Courtney said...

Coming from Kellys! My daughter has that same Pottery barn Kids print in her nursery. I love it!