Aug 17, 2010

Back to School

Monday was my first day back in class. I had Reagan snap a quick picture of me and my girl before I headed out the door.

I've taught as an adjunct instructor at a local community college since 2003. I began teaching only one class a week, Advertising. As the years passed, more classes were added to my work load. Last semester I taught every day. This semester, I've gone back to teach 4 classes, two days a week. I've enjoyed it. It's been the most fulfilling thing I've ever done. That is, until I became a mother. When I first began working here, I planned for it to just be a job that got me out of the house a few days a week until I became a mother. I never imagined I would enjoy it so much. Because I love it so much and have enjoyed it, I've not wanted to stop, even after Sara Madalin was born. I enjoy teaching my students. I enjoy seeing what they create. And I've loved so many of my students. I still have a few students, from some of my first semester here, that I still talk to. One in particular, who has become one of my best friends.

I'm going to miss the activity and the students. I love, love, love a college campus at the beginning of the semester. I love seeing them change from the beginning of their college career, to the end. I'm going to miss how they crack me up with some of their excuses for being late for class, or not having their assignments in on time. But I'm excited about being available to do more with Sara Madalin. I'm looking forward to being with her as she grows and learns and changes. I've wanted to be with her more for some time now. Finally, I've made a commitment to do so and I'm looking forward to it.

So, here we go into our final semester of me working in this field. It's going to be busy and fun. I'll probably even blog a little about some of my students since it's the last time I'll experience some of their "unique" work. And probably the last time I'll have to give a speech on dressing so there's "no meat in your seat" until I have a teenager to dress.

post signature

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Hope you have a great first day back...

blessedmomto8 said...

Have a fun semester! You look great!

Jana said...

You are so wise! By the way who is this wonderful smart most attractive student that is now one of your best friends???????????????????????????????
Hope you have an awesome last sememster!!! I know as a former student you taught me how to be proffesional(maybe to much at times) and you have also taught me so many life lessons!
I know you have taught so many students so many things, I just hope they were listening and not texting! ha ha! Love you!