Aug 27, 2010

Letting Go

There was a song, by Suzy Bogguss, that was popular when I was in college. It was called, "Letting Go." The song's lyrics were about a daughter and mother as the daughter packed and headed off to college. The chorus ended with the words, "It's never easy, letting go." But the words that always got me were, "She should be past the tears, she cries them anyway." I have to tell you, even though we have passed so many milestones already, each one is just as tough for me. You'd think I'd be past a few of these tears, but I "cry them anyway." And we're talking little stuff here, like walking and making complete sentences. I am going to be a basket case when she graduates high school and heads off to college. Seriously. I'm going to need some strong medication to help me through it. And probably a pretty expensive pair of shoes.

I let my little girl "go" a little bit more this past week. For a year and a half, she and I have attended swim lessons together. We started in January 2009, and here's the first post I made of her at her swim school. It seems almost like last week that I made that post. Here's a photo of us walking out of lessons together for the last time.

She's grown so much. And she's learned a great deal as well. She's able to communicate very well with us and her instructor. She will continue with lessons. She'll move up a level and be in the small pool with other children her age. I'm excited to see how well she does when she's on her own. It's just one more step in her growing up. It's all going by so quickly. That's one reason that I've decided to stop working outside the home in January. I don't want to miss any more of this "growing up" than I possibly have to. I know there will come a day all too soon that she doesn't want her mom following her around to all these lessons and practices. While she still wants me close, I want to be there every minute I can.

Enough of all that. I'm going to cry again.

Here's my BIG girl with her certificate for completing Water Babies II.

She's so proud. And so are we.

post signature

2 comments:

Tracie Cruse said...

Malinda, I cried when I dropped Caroline off for 3d grade...

Amanda said...

It's been almost 2 years since the birth of my Birthson and every time I look back at the pictures from that day or the updates I've gotten I always cry. Sometimes they're tears of saddness, but most times they're tears of joy, knowing that he's alive and well, and that God placed him with his parents and placed them in the right places at the right times. If it weren't for them, I honestly don't think he'd be alive right now, and I'm being overly dramatic, I should write about that..I think I will...

Anyways, Happy Belated Birthday!! And congrats on your decision to be a SAHM! I know you both will love it! She looks so excited in that last picture!!!