Sep 16, 2010

My Happy Plate

For a while now I've had my eye on something called a "Happy Everything" plate. It looks like this.
(If you click on the above image, it will link you to the site where the plate is sold.)

I saw it on a blog I read. It's a really cute plate that you switch out the attachment depending on the month or event that you are celebrating. I've seen it at a couple different shops I've been in. Each time I see it I'll pick it up and admire it and almost purchase it. Then I'll sit it back down and leave the shop empty handed. I can't tell you how many times It's not the cheapest thing. I think the plate and the starter set of attachments run around $200.

Well, last week I was in Hobby Lobby and I saw something similar there. It was called something else and had less attachments. Then I had an idea: I could make my own. So, while I was there, I picked up a few things.

I went home and pulled out this plate that I had purchased several years ago through Southern Living at Home.

I bought it to write menus, scripture, and other messages on. The few times I've used it, I've put ribbon through it to dress it up a bit. But to be honest, I've never used it much. So, I pulled out some Mod Podge, cut out some letters from colored paper, and went to work. I decoupaged the letters onto the plate.

While I was at Hobby Lobby, I had walked over to the section where they have wood pieces that you can paint. They also have a few pieces that are already painted. I looked through and found a piece for almost every month or holiday throughout the year.

I also picked up some 3M adhesive to attach the wood pieces to the plate. And when I'm done, it comes off really easy.

Here's my finished plate ready for Fall.

I may tweak it a bit with a few decoupaged polka dots. And I need to flesh out that ribbon a bit. But I'm pleased with it.

So, to recap: I love a plate that cost $200. I made something similar that cost (with attachments) about $10. That makes me (and my husband's wallet) very HAPPY.

post signature

6 comments:

Casey said...

Ohhh my goodness, I love this idea and am totally stealing from you and making my own! Yours is sooo cute

Penny said...

Much more practical~ and affordable! :)

The Glenn Gang said...

Somewhere, right now, Reagan Brown is smiling!

Jana said...

I always knew there was more to that red head then just book sense!!!
Very impressive!!!

Jennifer said...

I love it! I love it! Thanks for sharing :)

Carrie said...

Great idea and it turned out so cute. Good for you!