Sep 30, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Dining Rooms

Again this week I'm participating in the blog hop that Kelly is hosting. I really enjoyed looking at the rooms that others posted last week. I got a few ideas for things to spruce up our master bedroom and hope to work on a few projects for that room in the coming weeks.

This week Kelly asked that we share our dining rooms. Our home has an open floor plan, so our living room, dining room and kitchen are visible from pretty much anywhere you sit, outside the bedrooms. So, I thought I'd show a little of the living room as well. I did a post on the kitchen a few weeks ago. If you want to see that, you can click here.

This is our living room and dining room as seen when you walk in the front door.

As always, no rugs. Fear of commitment. It gets me every time I look at one. We've also talked about laying hardwood over the concrete floors at some point. But the more I think about it, the more I think I want to keep the concrete as it is. We live beside a lake. The teenagers next door swim in it during the summer and I have a feeling my daughter and her friends will as well some day. I think I'd rather them trek across concrete floors with wet feet and clothes than across expensive hardwood.

Here's another shot from the living room area, just from a corner of the room instead of the front door.

Another corner shot where you can see the fireplace and kitchen. We plan to paint all that stained wood at some point. It's just not really either of our taste.

Looking back at the living room area from the dining area. In the corner to the left, behind the beige chairs, is my writing desk. I didn't take a close-up of that area because I don't want you to see all the stacks of books, magazines, and home school paperwork that's hidden there. That area is on my list of organization projects. Once I have a handle on it, I'll post pictures. Also, our TV and entertainment center are to the right of the brown leather chair. I forgot to take a picture of that area.

Here's our dining area. I did a post on it a few weeks ago. I've updated it a little, but not much. It, like every other area of our house, is a work in progress.

Just another shot from a different angle.

Here's our buffet with some of my Fall serving pieces on it. My plan in the future is to hang either some of my china or some plates on the wall above this buffet.

This is a painting I bought at Pier 1. I hope to purchase a bench to place beneathh it for slipping on our shoes, dropping bags as we come in the door, etc.

And here is where Sara Madalin eats. She calls those, "My stool." If anyone sits on one of them, she tells them to "Move." She thinks they are just there for her.

That's our dining room area. We have already enjoyed many meals here, and look forward to many more.

post signature

24 comments:

Mom2One said...

I absolutely love your flooring! =) Your house is so warm and inviting. In a word..."breathtaking". Ok two words..stunning! lol You have great style!

BCS Blog said...

LOVE IT! Leave the floors they're gorgeous. Where did you get your table?

Lara said...

I love all of that open space! Very nice :)

Colleen said...

Love that pier one pic!! Gorgeous. Love your dining room furniture too. Lovely room!

caycee said...

Love your dining room, you home is beautiful!

feedingmypickyeaters said...

Love the open floor plan.

A Wedding Story said...

Your home is just lovely!!!

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot! said...

Your home is beautiful! I looked back at your kitchen post as well! Gorgeous :)

The Pressley Family said...

You have a beautiful home! I wouldn't do rugs either, just because your floors are gorgeous! And I love your dining room table!

Angie said...

Your home is so pretty! I am a huge fan of the open concept you have...I love it. Your floors are awesome!!

A Love Worth Waiting For.... said...

SOOOOO pretty!! I love your kitchen table!

Melanie Wiebe said...

You have a beautiful house! And I have to say I love the flooring! Maybe because my husband is a concrete finisher but anyway I think its gorgeous!

Heather said...

It's beautiful! I love your open floor plan, gorgeous!! Love your decor and the way you have arranged everything!

Katie@YogaGal said...

Your floors are just gorgeous! What a beautiful home! :D

Jessica V. said...

Can you email me your paint color and brand? Jess_a_Vasquez@yahoo.com. I love it!

Marla said...

I love your style very simple,less is more and its beautiful!

Holly Girl said...

Your floor plan looks amazing! I love the openness of it. Your dining space is gorgeous. I love the table.

Kimberly said...

wow your home is so pretty! I love the floors!!!

~SHO~ said...

LOVE that open floor plan. Those floors are great too!

Blessings~
QueenofSassySavings.blogspot.com

Michelle (lemonadegal) said...

First -- cute blog! I love the bright colors!!

Second - I ADORE the floors! I agree some rugs would be nice, but I love the stained concrete.

Last - your home is beautiful. Love how you have it arranged. Thanks for sharing!

Misty said...

I love the openness of your home and the colored cement floor. LOVE IT!!!

Your black dining room table is perfect too!

Debbie said...

Gorgeous space! The first thing I noticed were the gorgeous floors! I think they're a keeper ;) Your dining set is beautiful. Enjoy your space!

Lindsey said...

youre house is gorgeous! i can't wait to see the rest of it! and the colored cement!

Rona's Home Page said...

What an amazing space.