Oct 6, 2010

What I'm Loving Wednesday - Friendship

I am a relationship person and I love my friends. I enjoy laughing and joking with them. I enjoy praying, and even crying with some of them. I've been so blessed with some of the greatest friendships in my life. Some of these friendships have been for a season, some continue today. God has brought some of my sweetest friendships to me through some very different ways.

I have friends that have developed from serving in different areas of lay ministry at church. This is me and a former pastor's wife. She and I have a friendship that continues even today, even after they moved to another church. She loves Sara Madalin and continues to pray for us and encourage us.

God brought some friends into our life as a result of our struggle with infertility. He also brought friends who have a shared experience with adoption. This is a friend that God brought into our life just recently. Our friendship is just beginning, but we have so much in common and we will have much to discuss as our children grow older. I'm so thankful that God has given me friends I can turn to as we continue to travel through adoption.

And then there are friends that have been in our life so long and so deeply that they are like family. Reagan has known these people since he was 11 years-old. When he and I met and married, they were like extended family. I had to meet them, and throughout our dating relationship was checked out very thoroughly by Mr. Johnny and his girls. We continue to be part of each others lives.

And these people... I think I've mentioned them a time or two as well.

They came into our life right after we married, and right before they did. Brother Dan(!) served as youth minister at our former church. Reagan was on the youth committee and chaperoned several events during Dan's time at our church. We all developed a unique friendship while they were there. We kept in touch throughout the next 7 or 8 years, but rarely saw each other. Then, when we adopted Sara Madalin, our friendship was rekindled. Dan and Nicki had also pursued adoption before finally becoming pregnant with Jonah. And when we adopted SM, Nicki was so helpful with motherly advice. She's also the one who got me started blogging. I read her blog for years before I started blogging. So, I guess if you have any criticisms about my blogging, you can just blame her. ;-)

This is Jana. She's also a regular around our blog.

She is a former student. I think she was in my class during my first year of teaching. She was one of my first favorites, I suppose. After she graduated, she went on a mission trip with us. Then, she and I just began to be great friends. She has been by my side during some of the most difficult days of my life. Then, she also celebrated with me some of the most joyous. I tell her all the time I don't know what I'd do without her. I greatly appreciate her friendship.

This is Summer. God brought her into my life as a result of blogging. She is such a sweet, special friend. It's friendships like hers that help me to continue exposing our lives - struggles and celebrations - through blogging. She has told me how some of the things I share are very similar to how she feels or has felt as a mother. She said she laughs at our crazy life, and also cries with me through our struggles. Isn't that what great friends are for?

This is My Martha, or Granny.

I can't exactly explain why, but God has given us a very special friendship. She and I first started getting to know each other on a mission trip. We found we had a lot in common. We are both very opinionated. We both sometimes say the things that come into our mind, before we really think about how they will be received. And we're both a little fiesty. She's been such a blessing to me and has served as both an adoptive mother to me and an adoptive grandmother to my child.

This is one of my former college roommates. She and I have been friends for 18 years.

We don't talk every week, or even every month, but when we do talk, it's as if no time has passed. We have so many inside jokes that no one but us gets. She's the reason I sometimes snort when I laugh. (TMI?) We both love Jesus and our families. And we love each other. I know I can always count on her for a laugh, or just to pray for me.

I could go on an on with pictures and stories about the friendships God has blessed me with. And there are a few friendships that no words could adequately describe. Some of my strongest friendships, and longest lasting, are those that also have the most scars. I'm not always the best friend. God has taught me a lot about humility, grace, and forgiveness through my friendships. And He's also taught me a great deal about His love through the people He's gifted me with as friends. So, through every phase of each friendship, I've learned to be grateful and thankful for these relationships I have with others. I truly love the gift of friendship.


post signature

1 comment:

Lainey-Paney said...

What a wonderful post!