Dec 3, 2010

Baby Jesus

I mentioned in a post earlier this week that I had bought and set up for Sara Madalin her very own nativity set. It is a Fisher Price Little People set very similar to the one in this next photo.

The evening after I placed it in her room (on top of her dresser), I showed her all the characters and told her that the reason we celebrate Christmas is because baby Jesus came to earth. I didn't go into the whole Christmas story, because quite frankly, I felt it was a little over her head as a 2-year-old. But I did point out the wise men, Mary and Joseph, and baby Jesus. Then I sang "Away in a Manger" to her. When we were done, she said to me, "Sing 'gen (again) Mommy." So, I did.

The next morning, I was in the living room or kitchen doing something and she came running to me and said, "Sing dat Mommy" and had baby Jesus in her hand. I went into her room and the whole scene was in her bedroom floor. She had pulled her little step stool, that she uses to climb into bed, over to her dresser and had taken the set down and was playing with it. And that was fine. I just let her play. Then later, when it was time to straighten her room, I put it all back in place.

Then, the next day, I was cleaning up in the living room and found this.

That's baby Jesus. He's hanging out on the ladder that was still in the living room from when we decorated the Christmas tree. She must have thought he needed to be placed high up, in the area where all the action was, so he could see what all goes on around here.

I put him back up. I'm pretty sure that it's only a matter of time before I find him somewhere other than the manger.

And that's fine because, you know, He's really not there - literally or figuratively. We celebrate His birth this time of year, but the real reason He came, the real cause for celebration, wasn't just the birth of the Baby, but the restoration to God the Father through the sacrifice of the Son.

The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and she will call him Immanuel, God with us.
Isaiah 7:14

post signature

3 comments:

Ashley said...

That is too funny! Jesus just likes to be where all the action is lol!

Casey said...

aww, that is sooo cute!

Ashlee McCrary said...

Love that nativity set! So cute for little ones!