Jan 1, 2011

All is Quiet on the Home Front & Welcome 2011

I think it's been a few days since I even signed into blogger. I almost forgot my password. (Just kidding.) But, truth be told, there really hasn't been much to blog over the past few days. I've been trying to take down all the Christmas decorations at the house. I have been packing, and organizing and labeling (and occasionally playing the Battleship app on my iPhone) like a mad woman. If it sits still and can be containerized, it is in danger of me labeling it. But other than that, not much has taken place around here.

It's been so uneventful around our house this past week, that this is the only photo I have to show.

Exciting stuff, I know. We were all watching a movie the other night and she was lying on the ottoman, with her feet propped up on me. I thought it was sweet and wanted a photo to remember it. She's very much a momma's girl. And I really have no problem with that.

(And not that I'm one to dwell, but how many people noticed the Christmas tree is still in the corner? Nobody? Hmmmm.....)

In addition to organizing and labeling, I have also mopped and waxed every inch of the main living space downstairs over the past few days. As a result of my waxing frezny, I have instructed Reagan and Sara Madalin that they are to take their shoes off when they enter the house. Sara Madalin, of course, has no problem with this. She takes her shoes off as soon as I'm buckled in the driver's seat of my car and can no longer reach her. Taking them off upon entering the house is like a dream come true for her.

Since this is my first post of the new year, I should note that I have made no New Year's resolutions. Of course, I need to lose weight, eat healthier, read my Bible more, and quit smoking. But who doesn't?

Oh wait, I don't smoke. So, that means I'm already ahead.

Anyway, no New Year's resolutions, but I do have a few goals:

1) Unpack ALL the remaining boxes from our move almost TWO YEARS AGO. I still have boxes over in our "shop" that I have yet to even open since we moved into this house. One reason is because I know the contents of each box needs a place in our new home. And right now, there is no such place for much of it. Which brings me to my second goal,

2) Organize the bonus room and craft room upstairs. I plan to take before and after photos just to show how bad I've let that area get up there. I don't know that I could find a piece of red scrapbook paper up there right now if my life depended on it.

3) I would like to learn to use my Canon Rebel properly. I don't just mean set it on Auto and click away. I want to learn how to use natural light to my advantage and all that jazz. If anyone knows of any helpful websites, please feel free to pass them along to me.

4) Cook more and eat out less. I do enjoy cooking. And I'm not terrible at it. I'm not great either, but I know I could be. I have asked for new cookware for a couple years, and this year Reagan purchased some really good cookware for me for Christmas. I told him, now that I have new cookware I could cook so many more things. He said, "Oh, has that been the problem?"

By the way, he is going to get none of what I cook. None of it, I tell ya.

5) Along those lines, I would like to cook and give away at least one meal a month. (I almost set the goal at one a week, but I thought that might be a little ambitious.) I was better about doing this several years ago. I enjoyed cooking several casseroles at a time and keeping one for us, then passing the others along to people I knew. I've not done that in a while and would like to try to do that again.

6) Entertain more in our home. For years we were very active in this area. We would have people over at least once every month or so. Just to get together and eat or play games. Sometimes it was planned, sometimes it was spur of the moment. It's a little more difficult to do that now for two reasons - one is the girl with the blonde curls. She's not so keen on having people in her house yelling over a card game after she settles down for evening beauty rest. The other reason it's a little more difficult is that we live so far away from town - any town - where most of our friends are. But I would like to make an effort to at least try to have people over more. Maybe not once a month, but more than once or twice a year.

7) And I'll stop here because 7 is the number of completion - that and it's late and I'm sleepy. My final goal that I've set is to spend less time online and more time doing constructive things with my mind and hands. I love to sew and knit and crochet and craft. But I've done so much less of that since I've started blogging. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love to write our blog posts every day. I miss it when I make myself skip a day or two. As I've said before, it is my way of keeping the memories of the goings-on of our lives. And it allows our family and friends (and SM's birth family) who don't live near us, a glimpse into our lives each day. It's also a creative outlet for me. I've always enjoyed writing. I would write creative stories when I was in junior high school. I kept journals throughout senior high and college. I majored in journalism and communications. I love to write is what I'm saying. But I also remember the sense of accomplishment and achievement when I would complete a blanket I had crocheted. I remember the pride I had when I'd put something on Sara Madalin that I had made for her. I want to do those things again. I'm not going to quit blogging, but I do think that this coming year I will probably limit the amount of time that I spend online. I haven't decided how much, but I've tried to start cutting back some even these past few days and weeks. And I've seen a great difference in my productivity at home.

Finally - and this is not a goal that I have ANY control over - but one goal we have as a family is to adopt a second child this year. (This post is already long, but if you're interested, please stay with me.) We have completed all our paperwork for the agency (I think) and they have received all (but maybe one) of our letters of recommendation. Our home visit will hopefully be sometime in January, at which time we will give them copies of our profile to begin showing to mothers who are pursuing adoption plans for their child.

A few people have asked us about our progress and have we heard anything. The short answer is no, we've not heard anything. We probably won't hear anything until there is a possible placement. Now here's the long answer - even if we hear anything, I haven't decided yet whether I'll talk (much less, blog) about it. I know that it appears that I'm very un-edited and that I share pretty much everything about our life. But I don't. I guess we'll just decide, if that time comes, how we will handle it. But, adopting again is something that we hope and pray happens in 2011. If it does, I'm pretty sure I'll post a picture or two of the occasion ;-) - after the fact. If it doesn't happen... well, we believe in the sovereignty of the God who created the universe. If we know anything, we know that His ways are higher than ours, and His plans are greater than anything we could ever imagine. If it is God's will for us to adopt again, then He will lead us to that. If it is the perfect will of God for us to have only one child, I'm pretty sure we'll be ok.

I mean, after all, I'm going to be busy labeling and cooking and chasing the "princess" of the house anyway. I think I'll have enough to keep me busy, don't you?

Happy New Year everybody!

post signature

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Happy New Year. I can't wait to see what is in store for your family this year.

Paige said...

Loved reading this post! Wished I lived closer so you could teach me to sew. Praying for you and your family as you begin 2011!

The Bobadilla's said...

I pray that you get your 2nd bundle of joy this year :)
Happy New Year

Laura said...

You had me at the 'smoking' part.

Avery's Mommy said...

LOVE the resolution to quit smoking. That will be mine too, I think. Since I know I will actually accomplish it!