Jan 27, 2011

Mommy's Sweetheart, Daddy's Big Girl

Reagan spent the night at the hospital last night with his mom. Sara Madalin and I went by for a few minutes after we left church. Mrs. Brown is doing well in a regular room. Her doctor hopes to transfer her to a swing bed sometime in the near future and hopefully she'll get to go home soon after that. Last night when we stopped by she was receiving a breathing treatment. Sara Madalin had a million questions, of course. The respiratory therapist that was in there was named April, so every time SM asked a question about something, I said, "Ask Ms. April." And she was not shy about doing so.

Last night was a long night. Normally we don't let Sara Madalin sleep in our bed. She has never done well with it and neither do we. She takes naps with us and she'll come in early in the mornings sometimes and lay down with us for a little while, but she's never slept with us all night. Well, since I knew I wouldn't sleep well with Reagan gone anyway, I decided to let her sleep in our bed with me.

She fought a little at first because she wanted a cup too. She hasn't had a cup to go to sleep in a long time. I guess she thought since I'd let my guard down about the bed, I was wavering in all my rules. She was wrong. She finally realized she wasn't getting a cup and decided to change her attitude. Instead of whining about not getting a cup, she started hugging and kissing me and saying, "Awww, I wuv you so much." She was so sweet. Finally she went to sleep. And she slept ALL. NIGHT. LONG.

I didn't.

I just couldn't sleep well with Reagan gone. Plus, I kept thinking that every time I moved, SM was going to wake up. She did move around some - usually to get closer to me or farther up under my back - but she never woke up until around 5:30. She woke up and said to me, "I soakin' wet." And she was. I changed her pull-up and gave her a cup of milk. She went back to sleep and slept until 7:30. It was nice. When she finally got up, she was in a great mood.

I took care of a few things around the house, then we headed out to swim lessons. She did great in lessons. Her teacher kept looking at me and mouthing, "She's doing great!" or giving me the thumbs up. Too bad I didn't bring my camera in today, of all days.

After leaving there, we headed to the drug store for a little shower for Amy. As I was driving I heard SM in the back seat talking to herself. She was singing, then she'd talk for a minute or two and sing again. At one point I heard her say, "You my sweetheart. I wuv you so much." I said, "Who's your sweetheart? Is Daddy your sweetheart?" She said, "No, I Mommy's sweetheart. I Daddy's Big Girl." And that she is. She's Mommy's baby, sweetheart, angel. And Daddy tells her that she is his big girl. It was so funny to hear her say that.

She has been a sweet girl last night and today. I think it's all because she got such a good night's sleep. But we are NOT going to make a habit of sleeping in Mommy's bed.

post signature

No comments: