Feb 8, 2011

Home Study Visit

Monday night our adoption counselor visited our home for the final stage of our home study. We've been working on getting everything they needed so that we can finalize this study and begin being shown officially as opportunities arise. There are a few things that we are still working on getting to them, but this was pretty much the final step in the process before officially being on their waiting list.

One final thing that they will wait on is our FBI clearance. We had to go through the process of being fingerprinted and then send it to the FBI for them to, in turn, send us a statement saying we are not wanted fugitives. You're not going to believe this (or maybe you will) but Reagan had no problem with his clearance. Me? Oh, they lost my fingerprint card. At least that's the story I got when I called them last week. I received a letter in the mail with a new blank fingerprint card and instructions for re-submitting it with my fingerprints. So, I called them. Reagan and I went to the same police station, the same day, at the same time and we were fingerprinted by the same officer. I placed the completed cards, along with a cover letter, in an envelope and sent it certified mail to the FBI. We received a notice stating they had received our package. Then, last week, I got the info in the mail stating my card was not in the package. I'm hoping someone at the FBI lost it (they won't admit that) and not that it was stolen and I'll be wanted for some crime in the near future because my fingerprints were used by a criminal. I know, that sounds far fetched, but have you ever watched CSI? Those kinds of things happen. All. The. Time.

So, I've got to go this week and get a new card done and sent in. They are holding Reagan's clearance too until they receive my prints.

I'm also working on printed and online copies of our profile. I've started on them and should have those finished by early next week. Peggy, our counselor, gave us info on a new option that the agency is allowing where adoptive families can create a YouTube video to go with their online profile. We're going to try to do that as well. I'll let you know how that goes.

I also asked her about our blog. Now that birth mothers and families will be looking at our profile with Bethany, if they are considering us, they could easily find us through Facebook or our blog. All they would have to do is search for our names or Sara Madalin. And we do want to maintain some level of privacy, at least initially, if chosen by a birth family. I asked her if she thought I should make my blog private. She said she didn't think it should be a problem, but if that issue arises, we'll discuss it then.

Sara Madalin was very entertaining and well-behaved while Peggy was here. I had told her (SM) that we would have a guest. She was excited to see Peggy when she got there. I took a picture of them once Peggy was done with our home observation. Monkey had to be in the picture too. He's such a camera hog.

We know that this is just the beginning of what could be a very long wait. We aren't even guaranteed that this will result in an adoption. We told Peggy that we don't want to put a time frame on God, but we also know that we are getting to an age that parenting a newborn and toddler would be a little more difficult for us than many of their waiting couples. So, we are going to see if anything happens in the next couple years. If not, then we will be a family of three. We're very much content with that. But we are stepping out in faith in hopes that God will bring us a sibling for Sara Madalin. So, we are cautiously optimistic.

If this is anything like the last time we waited to adopt, there really won't be much to update unless there is a possible placement. So, if you don't see me post anything about this, it's not because we're aren't pursuing adoption, it's just that there isn't anything to tell. That's just kind of how this thing works. No monthly check-ups with an OB. No sonogram pics. No pregnancy ticker counting down the days. But that's ok. In the end, if God allows, the result will be the same. For some people that might not be enough. But for us, we know it is.

So, thanks in advance to those who have prayed and who will continue to pray for us. God has turned something that was so painful for so many years, into such a great blessing. And many of you are part of that blessing.

post signature

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Praying for you and your family. Gods timing is always perfect!!

Penny said...

God speed. :)

Amanda said...

Praying for ya'll. Ya'll are wonderful people and great parents, and any birth parent would be blessed to have ya'll in their lives.

bella said...

I am keeping you in my prayers. You are such loving parents!