Feb 1, 2011

It's That Time of Year Again

About this time every year, our little girl starts getting sick and has to have breathing treatments and medicine for her ears. She has very sensitive allergies, and always has. She can be held by someone with strong smelling perfume, and two days later have a horrible runny nose, cough, and congestion. Sometimes, the allergies get so bad that she develops an upper respiratory infection. And she's had trouble with her ears since she was about 5 or 6 months old. Before she was one, she had at least 7 ear infections. It seemed for a while that she would take an antibiotic for her ears, finish it, and within a week or two, have another ear infection. She finally got tubes in her ears right around her first birthday. Since then, her ears have drained about 2-3 times, at which point we'd give her ear drops and within a week they would clear up.

Last Friday, I picked her up from daycare and was told that she'd acted like she didn't feel well after her nap. They took her temperature and she had fever of 99.6. But no one called me. I took her home and kept an eye on her and her temperature. She seemed fine. Saturday she had a little runny nose and cough, but no fever. Then Saturday night, after I put her to bed, she coughed and coughed. I went into her room before we went to bed and she was coughing so much that she threw up. And I could tell she was very congested. We gave her some Motrin and put her in the bed with us. She slept until 8:00 the next morning, so we knew something was wrong. I took her temperature and it was 102. Reagan started trying to get us an appointment at the after-hours clinic and I gave her a breathing treatment in hopes that it would help clear up some of the congestion in her chest.

She was so pitiful. And all she wanted was to lay on top of me. That's one way we know she's sick, she just wants to lay down on top of me and sleep.

We finally got her an appointment when the clinic opened around lunch time. The three of us headed that way. The waiting room was packed. Reagan said that there's a stomach bug and the flu going around. They had so many patients that they were actually calling people back to test for flu and strep before they saw the doctor. I guess, that way, when the doctor was available, he'd already have test results on everyone. When they called our name, Reagan and I started gathering up all our stuff to head back. Before we were ready, SM had already gone through the door with the nurse to the back, like she was grown. We told her to wait, we were coming too. The nurses just laughed and one said, "She's got this mom. She just needed you for the ride here."

She tested negative for strep and flu. The doctor said she did have ear drainage and gave us a prescription for ear drops (I think Reagan said the bottle of drops is about $120 - about $1 per drop) and told us to continue those and the breathing treatments for a week. So, SM and I have been confined to the house since Sunday afternoon. I really thought yesterday that she was better. She didn't run fever after about 8:00 a.m. on and she was WIRED all day. By the time Reagan got home Monday night I told him, "She is fine and she is going to daycare tomorrow."

But then, she came into our room around 4:30 this morning and she was running fever and coughing again. So, more Motrin and breathing treatments and ear drops for her. And more confinement to the house for us both. We've watched a good bit of Nick Jr. And she's cooked me a lot of ice cream and Diet Coke. I haven't eaten ice cream in months, so I'm not sure where that came from. But she's got my number on the Diet Coke.

Hopefully, by tomorrow morning she will feel much better and we can at least venture out for a few hours. If not, we are going to visit her regular pediatrician and probably have to have more tests and meds. But Reagan I have both said, we are just thankful that we can take her to the doctor. And I'm thankful that I can be home with her. So, even though neither of us like to be stuck in the house, I'm glad we're stuck here together.

post signature

4 comments:

Amy @ mommetime said...

aw... I hope your baby girl is well soon! My oldest daughter (6) has chronic lung disease; fortunately she has responded well to her treatments and is now able to handle most sickness on her own...Thank God! Seeing the picture of you holding the equipment...makes me really feel for your little one! Has anyone ever suggested that you take her to see someone who specializes in Pediatric Pulmonology...if not I highly recommend it. It looks like your daughter maybe ready for Metered-Dose Inhaler with AeroChamber and a Mask ~ it takes a lot less time to administer and delivers the medicine to the lungs really well! Amy

Erica @ All About Aleigha said...

Poor baby, I hope she gets to feeling better soon. Were in the same boat here, our little one is sick with an ear infection, cough & runny nose.

Denise Darnell Davis said...

We are doing the same thing at our house right now too! While I can't stay at home with her I'm thankful I can bring her to work with me! Hope SM feels better soon!

Amber said...

Awww...I hate it when my babies are sick! Mary Dalton does the SAME thing as SM and it does break your heart! Hope she is better soon! *We use Delsym night time, not sure if she is old enough but it works for us sometimes! I also have to use rx cough syrup when she gets really bad!