Mar 3, 2011

Flower Necklaces

I have seen these necklaces worn by a number of people whose blogs I read. I think they are so fun looking.
Photo courtesy of Allora Handmade.

I have wanted to order one, but they cost $30-$40. So, I've looked around and I found a tutorial on how to make one myself. I gave it a try this morning. It took only about 30 minutes from start to finish and I like the way the first one turned out. And here to model my first attempt at jewelry making is my lovely blonde haired girl. Please excuse the hair. As you can see, it had not yet been tamed for the day.

When I showed her the necklace, she was quick to point out for me that it was like the flower already on her shirt. She's a sharp one.

I made a couple more today because they were so quick and easy. I think they would be cute with flowers in school colors. I'm thinking about doing some bracelets and headbands as well. I've also seen shirts embellished with the flowers. They are so cute.

The necklaces were a lot more inexpensive than what I found them for online. The chain cost me $2 and the felt was $.29 a sheet (I used 2 sheets purchased from Hobby Lobby. I'll probably buy some off the bolt next time or use a pretty cotton fabric.). I already had the hot glue. So, the total cost for my little project was under $3.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you make a few of those for me to auction off for my defense fund?

caryn said...

Thank you for posting this! I too have been seeing these on blogs and have loved them!

I have a little girl about 1 month older than SM and I love your blog and read everyday I'm just bad about posting comments!

Jana said...

Hey you should really try and sell those somewhere. Maybe the Canton Flea Market! I heard it is hard to get into but I am sure you know SOMEBODY that could help you out!!! And of course you would need your model to be there as well!!!

A Love Worth Waiting For.... said...

Oh how CUTE!!! I also love these necklaces but I am not crafty at all. You did a wonderful job!

I love your blog and I wanted to ask you if you would be interested in guest posting about your adoption story on my blog? Your story was so encouraging to me! It would be an honor to have you guest blog! :) If not, that's ok too!

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

lyndsiebrooker@hotmail.com.