Apr 18, 2011

Dora, Dora, Dora the Explorer!

Saturday we took Sara Madalin to a local carnival. It was specifically geared toward preschool and elementary age children. I had seen it advertised in a local magazine and read that Dora and Diego would be there. I didn't tell her about it, in case we had something come up where we couldn't make it, but I knew if there was any way that we could get there, we had to take her, and I'm so glad things worked out.

Saturday morning, she and I stayed around the house while Reagan went down to his dad's for a little while. When he got back home, we loaded up and headed to the carnival. Sara Madalin was so excited.
Photobucket

We were given a coupon, and with it we ended up paying about $7 each. That price included all the rides that Sara Madalin could stand. It was well worth it.
Photobucket

Her first ride was a merry-go-round type ride where she got to sit in a fish. I think this was the first time she's ever ridden anything without us. She LOVED it! She smiled the entire time.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Reagan said she kept pointing to different rides and saying, "I ride dat one in a minute."
Photobucket

There was also a circus and a few other performers throughout the carnival. She and Reagan would stop and watch them between rides. She loves to be on his shoulders so she can see things.
Photobucket

After a few rides, we found a picnic table under the tents and had lunch. She drank a juice box while we waited for Reagan to bring our lunch.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh, and we came for Dora and Diego, but let me show you what stole the show as far as our girl was concerned.
Photobucket

Now, some of you might not know what that is, so let me fill you in. It's a Snort. At least, that's what we call them at our house. Every night, or at least almost every night, I read Dr. Suess's "Are you my mother?" to Sara Madalin. In the book, the baby bird encounters a big machine like this and he calls it a Snort because of the sound it makes. Everywhere we go, we play the game of "Find the Snort." She looks for tractors and everything else that has a lift and points it out to us as a Snort. She was so excited to get so close to one.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And let me just tell you, there was not one button, dial, or moving object that she did not touch on that Snort. Her Uncle Wayne would be so proud. Reagan said that when they got seated, she said, "I want to drive." He said, "Well, drive, Baby." And in her sweet little imagination, she did.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we walked over to Dora's tent and our girl was so very excited to see her favorite characters from NickJr.
Photobucket

Photobucket

That's her with Diego and here she is with Dora and Boots.

Photobucket

We left Dora and Diego and headed over to ride the train. While we were waiting in line, a clown came over. Sara Madalin gave him "5" but wasn't that sure about him. He started joking with some other kids and pretending to pull little red balls from their ears. We thought she wasn't paying that much attention to him. But then, on the way to church Sunday, out of the blue she said, "I not have balls in my ear."
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are a couple pictures of us on the train ride. I looked over during the ride and I couldn't help but notice what a big girl she is now. When I tell her she's a big girl she almost always says to me, "I Mommy's baby." And I tell her she will always be my baby.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Between rides, she rode a little in her stroller. I looked over once and she had her legs crossed. She looked like a princess riding in her chariot. I thought it was so sweet that I snapped a quick picture.
Photobucket

Just when she thought she couldn't have any more fun, we took her over to ride the ponies. She loved it. I'm hoping that I can find someone who can come to our house and give pony rides for her birthday party in a few weeks.

Here she is trying to give the pony a kiss.
Photobucket

I have video of her on him and I hope to upload it in the next day or so. She kept telling him, "Giddy up. Giddy up." She loved riding so much that she didn't want to get off him. But, Reagan convinced her that other children wanted to ride too. So, they got in line to wait for a second turn on him.
Photobucket

She REALLY wanted to ride this next ride but we thought she was too little for it. It's a swing ride and all that holds the child into the seat is a little seat belt across their lap. I was just afraid she would slip out as it twirled around.
Photobucket

Here are just a few pics of the other activities around the carnival.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

She had a great time and was such a good girl. I think we'll definitely try to go again the next time the carnival is in town. And it gave me quite a few ideas for her birthday party coming up in just a few short weeks. I cannot believe that she is almost 3 years-old!

post signature

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Oh my! I knew exactly what you were referencing when you talked about the 'snort'. My almost-three-year old is OBSESSED with that book! That is too funny.

I didn't hear about the festival until church yesterday. I'm so glad it's going to be next weekend, too. And I heard there will be a monkey rodeo - monkeys dressed as cowboys riding on horses. It sounds HILARIOUS.