Apr 10, 2011

In the blinking of an eye

I know some people that visit our blog think I'm a little obsessed with our daughter and that I go overboard on taking photos of the things she does. Maybe a few people think I carry on a bit too much about every little thing that goes on in her life. And you know what, those people are right. I do obsess over her. I do take thousands of pictures of her each year. I do blog about almost every little thing she does or says. You know what else? I'm most likely not going to stop those things.

Every day I see more and more that these days are fleeting so quickly. I took pictures of her this past weekend in her Easter dress. It's a cute little smocked outfit that she looks so sweet in. As I was looking through my lens at her in that dress, I couldn't help but think that in just a short time, she will object when I try to put a smocked dress on her and a bow in her hair.

And it's not just her clothes that make me think about how quickly time is passing with her. She won't go to sleep these days unless I'm lying next to her. Usually, she has to be touching me - whether it's her leg on me, or her arm around my neck, or just her little hand on my back if I'm turned away from her. For a few nights I tried to fight her and get to go to sleep without me. (I mean, she did it for the first year and a half of her life. What changed?) One book I read before she was born said that I'm the parent and she's the child and as the parent what is best for her is to go to sleep when I say, and to do it on her own. Some nights it takes me close to an hour to get her to go to sleep and I still have things to do once she's asleep. But then, I thought more about the battle of getting her to sleep and I thought, there is going to come a day all too soon when I want her to sit and talk to me before she goes to sleep, or lie down and cuddle in my arms, and she won't be there. She'll be out on a date. Or off at church camp. So, we lie together at night and talk and sing and read. And I am trying to slow down and savor every minute I possibly can. There are nights that I stay even after she goes to sleep, wishing that I could make time stop and she'd sleep like that next to me every night.

(And for those who might be wondering, we've found a routine that works for us when it comes to co-sleeping. I put her to sleep in her bed. She stays in there from about 8:00 or 8:30 until about 1:00 a.m. Then, I've got a couple blankets and a pillow on the floor beside our bed. Around 1:00, she comes in there, usually without making much of a sound, and goes back to sleep on her pallet. She sleeps there until about 4:30 or 5:00, then I'll let her get in the bed with us where she'll sleep until about 7:30 or 8:00. We are all getting more sleep, there are no middle of the night fights, and we have been able to tell a huge difference in her attitude and behavior.)

While she's here, and she wants and enjoys me and her Daddy, I'm going to take as many pictures of every little thing that I can. No matter how silly, or mundane, or boring. And for those who want to criticize that, all I can say is, you don't have to visit our blog. It won't really hurt my feelings.

We've really made an effort to slow down some on the weekends these past few weeks. We know that we have several weekends coming up where we'll be on the go again. So, these past few weeks we've slept a little later and just let her play for a while in the yard on Saturday. We've all enjoyed it. These are a few pictures of her blowing bubbles on the back porch this past Saturday morning.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this next photo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I tried a little "oldies footage" effect on this next picture. I love her eyelashes.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I tell her all the time she's beautiful and I love her so much. I can't believe that she's the little baby we brought home from the hospital just 3 short years ago. Time is just passing too quickly. I'm even more grateful today than I was then that God gave us the gift of this little girl. I don't think I'll ever get over the miracle that is my Sugar.

post signature

6 comments:

The Stairs Family said...

I'm a faithful follower and I LOVE every picture and story about SM that you post! She is the same age as my youngest and they are so similar (sassy, spunky, full of energy!). I'm glad you arent changing the way you blog- I love it!!

bella said...

You can post as many photos as you want-she is the cutest girl!! I have 3 grown girls and we did the family bed with the last two when they were breastfeeding and it didn't hurt them one bit and I hope it made them feel more secure. Meeting a childhood need is never wrong!

Penny said...

Any mother who waits as long as you to have their child deserves to be "obsessed." lolMy youngest is in college and I do not regret for one moment reading "three books" and singing "three songs" (same three songs for years) every night. Wish I'd realized how fast they grow up before I had the third and had spent more of that sweet bedtime with my first two girls. Enjoy it! You're right~ she'll be grown before you can blink. But then God gives us grands. :)

Stacy said...

I had a come apart in the kitchen Saturday for no reason other than my little boy (almost 13!) looked so big laying in the chair watching TV! SAvor these times because they do fly by so fast!

Laura said...

You are so right about the smocked dresses and hair bows. Look for that to happen around age 5 or 6.

Blessed to Be A Mommy said...

As a new adoptive Momma, I LOVE reading your blog, all the little details and I can't get enough of her cute clothes. Just today I was telling a friend that in a few years my daughter will refuse to wear smocked dresses so I might as well glam it up with her now. Where do you get all of SM's adorable clothes. I love all of them. Thanks for sharing.