Oct 16, 2011

Spidey-Sense

This coming week Sara Madalin's school is having their annual Fall Carnival. We are very excited. Or, should I say, our little girl is very excited. She keeps telling me what all she is going to do at the carnival and that she is going to win prizes. I love seeing her so excited.

I'm contributing a few things to the bake sale portion of the carnival. I spent most of my Saturday morning baking cookies and pies. (I still have to bake a cake and make a couple casseroles.) While I was working on those things, I asked Reagan if he would take Sara Madalin out to pick up a pumpkin to decorate. Another part of the carnival is the Pumpkin Decorating Contest.

(I have to stop here and say, the side of me that likes control wanted to decorate the pumpkin for her. I found some really cute ideas online of painted and Mod-Podged pumpkins. I saw one really cute pumpkin with polka dots and a monogram on it. But, I wanted her to have fun and be proud of the pumpkin as something she had done herself. So, I fought the urge to buy brightly colored paint, ribbon, and rick-rack last week at Hobby Lobby. For now. I may have to decorate a couple for my front porch just because they were so cute. Instead, for the contest at school, I bought a little decorating kit at Target that I knew would be right up our girl's alley. )

So, Reagan went out with her to a local farmer's market and they picked out a couple pumpkins - one to carry to school and one to keep here at home. Here she is picking out the perfect pumpkin.

Photobucket

He said she wore those sunglasses the whole time they were gone. She is who she is.

Here she is with the pumpkin they picked out to decorate for school.

Photobucket

And here she is with the smaller pumpkin that she bought to decorate for our porch.

Photobucket

She wanted to put stickers on it. This was all I could find. She was more than happy with them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Heading outside to decorate her pumpkin for school.

Photobucket

Daddy poked the holes and got her started, then she would finish inserting the pieces to decorate.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

She was so excited when her Spiderman pumpkin was finished.

Photobucket

I'm still debating on whether or not to spray paint the entire pumpkin red and re-insert the pieces.

Control - it's very hard for some people to give it up.

post signature

1 comment:

Laura said...

This post totally cracked me up!! I know all too well about the control issue!