Dec 7, 2011

Christmas Challenge: A Wreath with a Red Bow

This past weekend, as we were traveling around North MS, we made a stop in the beautiful city of Oxford. Reagan looks for any opportunity to stop by the campus of Ole Miss. While we were in the area, we thought we'd drive around and look at the town where he spent a few short years of his youth. I, personally, wanted to shop and see the Christmas decorations.

We parked on the Square and walked around. It was late in the afternoon and getting colder, so we didn't stay out long. But I was able to get a few photos for today's challenge - a wreath with a red bow. Actually, I was able to capture photos of several wreaths. This first was on a fence off the Square.

Photobucket

This wreath was hanging on a light post on the Square. I love how you can see the steeple of a church in the background.

Photobucket

This is not really what I would consider a traditional Christmas wreath, but I thought it was cute, so I snapped a picture. When I first saw it, all I could think was, "Wow, there is no telling how long it took someone to make that."

Photobucket

After walking around the Square, we drove around the campus of Ole Miss. Reagan enjoys looking at how much campus has changed since he was there. As he drove by the Lyceum I had him stop so I could photograph these two wreaths hanging on the doors at the entrance.

Photobucket

And since we were already taking a stroll down memory lane and reminiscing about what my husband's life was like some 20 years ago, he decided to take his daughter and I to one of his favorite restaurants from those days. I took a photo of it too.

Photobucket

Yes, seriously... Of all the places in Oxford, Misssissippi, he took us THERE... To EAT!

(I almost hate to show that picture after all those lovely wreath photos. But, y'all, if I hadn't shown a picture of it, no one would believe me when I told them we ate there.)

It's a place called The Sizzler. And believe me when I tell you, I think it's safe to say it can't have changed much in the 20 years since my husband last ate there. The food was ok. But I was told by my tour guide that it wasn't just about the food. Eating there was about the history and atmosphere. And by atmosphere, he means it's the kind of place that the waitress, after she takes your order, sits down at the table next to you and smokes a cigarette and eats her meal while she waits for yours to be prepared.

It was classy, y'all.

post signature

1 comment:

Jeffrey Brown said...

I've lived here two and a half years and have never heard of The Sizzler. Since it comes so highly recommended, I might have to check it out! ;)