Dec 22, 2011

Spiderman!

While we were gone this past week, we visited Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure in Orlando. We were there with Reagan's sister and her family. We had planned the trip back in the Spring, after Reagan's mom passed away. We had hoped that Reagan's dad would go with us, but he chose not to. I think he kind of wished he had gone after hearing from Susan while we were on the trip. We enjoyed our time together. SM loved having Sue-Sue, Day-Day, Mitch, and Mandy with us. And I think they enjoyed her as well.

While at Universal, we planned to find Spiderman so our daughter could meet her hero. We got to the park when it opened and first headed to the Harry Potter area. Mitch and I really wanted to see and ride the attractions there. I wanted to try the Butterbeer. After convincing my husband that it contained no alcohol, he got me a cup. I'm going to be honest, I wasn't a fan. It was too sweet. I took a couple sips, let Mandy and Mitch try it, then we tossed it and hopped on the Dueling Dragons roller coaster. We tried to get SM to ride the Hippogriffs, but she wouldn't, so we headed to the Marvel comics area of the park.

On our way to that area of the park, we saw a face painting booth. We stopped so SM, who was already wearing her Spiderman costume, could get her face painted. She took it very seriously. She didn't want the artist to mess up the paint, so she was more still than I think she's ever been in her life.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Seriously, she didn't move until the girl was done. She even got a little red lipstick to finish off the look.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We got to the Spiderman meet and greet area just as Spiderman was coming into the photo area. I wish I'd had a picture of her as he turned the corner and she saw him for the first time. It was priceless. She was beside herself. She was about the 4th person in line and she kept looking around everyone ahead of her to see him. Then, when it was her turn, she was speechless. She just kept looking at him. He was so good and got down on her level and talked to her. It was probably the greatest moment of her little life.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here they are throwing their webs.

Photobucket

There was a green screen behind them and a professional photographer took a picture of them and placed it on a magazine screen and they both looked like they were throwing webs in a comic scene.

She also saw Captain America. She didn't have a clue who he was until we got home and her Daddy looked up a cartoon of him on Netflix.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We met up again with David, Susan, Mandy, and Mitch. Reagan and I rode the Hulk roller coaster with Mandy and Mitch while Sue-Sue and SM rode another ride nearby. David sat and watched.

Photobucket

Photobucket

She had a great time with her Sue-Sue last week. When Susan was around, she had little to do with us.

We went over to the Dr. Seuss area next. She rode a couple rides there, then we watched the Grinch Christmas show.

Photobucket

Photobucket

She got to meet The Cat in the Hat and Thing 1 and Thing 2. She hugged and kissed all over them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had people all day who stopped us to tell us how cute she was in her costume and painted face. There were even a few people who stopped and asked if they could take a picture of her. Little did they know, she was just being herself. We were happy to see her enjoying herself.

I struggled with whether or not to even post these pictures, or others, from our trip. I have "friends" read our blog and then joke about how often we take her to Disney, and the other things we do for her. I've considered making my blog private, so I can again have the freedom to post what I want about our lives without having to deal with the criticism of those who think our life is excessive. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, if someone has a problem with our life or the things I blog about, they don't have to read our blog. It's that simple. I'm not trying to be mean, and I appreciate the readers we have and all the encouraging comments we receive from time to time. But it really bothers me that there are people in our life that read our blog just for fodder to criticize us. People who I would expect to be our biggest supporters and encouragers, but are instead spreading negativity about our family. It hurts, and it also makes me sad.

I'll be the first to admit, our life is not perfect. Our family is not perfect. And I am the least perfect person you will ever meet. But we love each other and I want to remember the times we enjoy as a family. I write about these things for us and for those who truly care about us and can be happy for us. Do we spoil our daughter? Yes. But we're her parents and that is our job. Every parent spoils their child to some extent. We are blessed to be able to make some of her dreams come true, like seeing Spiderman at Universal Studios. Every parent wants to make their children's dreams come true. We are no different. But, in our opinion, we don't lead an excessive lifestyle. We give to others, our church, and missions. We live in a modest home, drive modest vehicles, and save in other areas so that we can splurge on these kinds of trips and spend time as a family. We are blessed and grateful for what God gives us. I want to remember these times we spend together. So, I'm going to post our pictures and our stories. I know that these times and memories are precious and I want to someday look back and remember them through these pictures. And when that time comes that we don't take as many trips together as a family, I'll have these precious pictures and stories to look back on. And I'll be glad I posted for our family, and not for others.

post signature

8 comments:

will + adri said...

I think it's great that you take her places and do amazing things with your daughter. We cannot wait to do the same for our recently adopted son. She's happy and you're happy and that is all that matters! Nothing but love!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion people like that are acting out of jealously. Every parent does the best they can for their child, and I think it's great that you are able to do these things for her. I enjoy reading your post, and honestly some people will be negative no matter what you do because that's their nature. Enjoy your girl every moment. They grow up to fast.

yoooyoo said...

Oh hun. I wouldn't worry about those people. I agree they are jealous. Some people just cannot be happy for another. There is NO reason you guys cannot do anything for that child. That is what being a parent is about. She will remember what loving parents you are. Hang in there. Love the pictures!
We have taken our son to Disney 3 times (he turns 3 in Feb lol) and everyone commented he is WAY to young to know and remember, and what a waste of money it is. Well all be darned at 1 year old he saw Stitch, ran to him and hugged into him. His eyes were so big. NOW you cannot tell me he doesn't "know" what is going on. Next time we went we made sure to see his best friend stitch and sure enough he had tears of joy in his eyes. Whatever it takes for us to relieve that moment for him we will do it!

Jennifer said...

I'm thankful that you allow me to read your blog. I'm not sure how I even came across it but glad that I did. You have precious family. SM is adorable and I enjoy reading your posts about this special gift from God.

Anonymous said...

Please, please don't stop doing and please don't stop sharing your lives with us. It brings me so much joy. I love the different ways in which God blesses people. I love the way in which God allows you to share how He blesses you. It inspires others to take a look at their own lives and be grateful for how God blesses them. To each God gives His own portion. My child does not have a natural father in his life for various, complicated reasons. There are those who would criticize me and say, "But every child needs his father." They need to examine that statement. God did what was best for Milton, and because of that, He has blessed me with friends that love and bless Milton as if he were their own. They are of the body of Christ, and they are his family. Who would deny them the opportunity to love him. What he lacks in one family, God has more than made up for in another way. Jealous is an ugly beast. I cannot wait for the opportunity to reunite with you all and love on SM. Your posts bring me so much joy. While I wait, I get to know a precious gift from God, and parents who do not take that gift for granted.

Surelda

Anonymous said...

The best gift you can give your child is time spent with you. That you are lucky enough to be able to do that somewhere wonderful is the icing on the cake. You always seem to enjoy your time together no matter where it is spent - well done you :) so keep on making memories for your family; they are the only people that count, not those who let their jealousy show & don't know how to mind their own business.

Penny said...

Ditto to all those comments above! I've enjoyed your blog since I found you through Nicki's~ soon after you brought your blessing home! I feel like I know you. I think some are jealous that you are able to give all you do to SM. She is a blessed, loved little girl. After you waited and prayed for a child all those years everyone should be happy you have her to "spoil" and LOVE! If you do make this blog private, please invite me! :) Also, I think by having public, I'm sure you are always encouraging others in the adoption process or are struggling with infertility. I wish the others would stop harrassing you. Like you said, they do NOT have to read it. Since you have comment moderation on here, can't you block their e-mails? Just a thought, if possible. Have wonderful Christmas, Malinda! :)
PS to Sara Madalin~ I love you in your Spiderman and Princess costumes! You look adorable!!! I'm so glad you got to meet Spiderman! Have a good Christmas~ hope you get all the things on your list. :)

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by accident some time ago and love reading about SM. I love her zest for life and her spunk. As the mother of a 26 and 36 year old I can tell you this time with her will pass faster than you can imagine. Have fun with her and enjoy all the vacations and trips you can. I wish mine were still small enough to spoil that way.