Feb 19, 2012

From the Mountains, To the Prairies

This past Friday was Patriotic Day at Sara Madalin's school. She got to wear a red, white, and blue outfit and all the kids in K3 were encouraged to wear hats that they had either created or decorated. I made her a cute little ruffle skirt using this pattern I'd found on Pinterest. I also appliquéd some stars on a shirt I had bought at Target. I bought my appliqué patterns from this Etsy shop.

Now, for the hat. I struggled with what we were going to do for that. I looked for a few ideas online. I just couldn't find anything that fit her personality, and was as unique as she is. Then, another mom sent me a link to some hat ideas. I took one of those and we made a hat using a straw cowboy hat she already had.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We used foam stars, pipe cleaners, and glittery pom-pom balls. I made a band with some blue foam and hot glued the pipe cleaners to it. I attached the stars, that already had glue on the back of them, to the top of the pipe cleaners. Then, she and I randomly attached more star stickers around the hat. Finally, using hot glue, we attached the pom-poms. I put the glue on them and then she placed the balls where she wanted them. Normally, I would have never let her near the glue gun or glue. But I did. I should have trusted my judgment. There was a TERRIBLE accident (not really) that resulted in crocodile tears, aloe vera lotion, and several band-aids. But it didn't stop her from helping. She came right back and helped me finish.

And here she was Friday morning before school. Bless her heart, she looks terrified. Notice the band-aid on her right thumb. Terrible, terrible accident.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Her teachers are wonderful for so many reasons. One being that they have never once complained when I've sent a camera to school and asked for a few pictures of her day. They always send back several shots for me and it makes this momma so happy.

Here she is as they were lining up to go march in their little parade.

Photobucket

They got to all march together through the playgrounds, then the administration building, and over to their gym where they all said the pledge to the flag, and sang "God Bless America." And I think there must have been some chanting because she broke out into, "U-S-A! U-S-A!" at one point after I picked her up Friday afternoon.

They must have been saying the pledge in this next picture.

Photobucket

And here she is with her class. They are so cute. I love seeing them in all that bright red, white, and blue.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I picked her up, she and I went and got pizza for her Daddy and some of his co-workers. He went out of town for a couple days, so SM and I went to have lunch with him since we wouldn't see him until Saturday evening. And we couldn't go to the store and not visit with Nee-Nee and Scooter and the others in the office.

Photobucket

I think more than a few people tried to take her hat from her. But that's ok, cause she tried to take money from Mr. Dwight's desk, so I guess it all works out in the end. :-)

She had a great time during Patriotic Day. I told Reagan they must have done a lot of marching, because she took a better nap Friday afternoon than she has in awhile.

post signature

No comments: