Aug 23, 2012

Nothin' But a Number

So, today was my 39th birthday. I actually had forgotten it was my birthday when I first got up this morning. We have a little routine each morning where I get up about 20-30 minutes before Reagan and Sara Madalin and get ready so that I can fix breakfast and lunch while Reagan helps SM with her bath or shower. When she's done, he gets her dressed and she eats while I finish getting her hair done and shoes on. We leave about 30 minutes before him, so he gets ready after we leave. It all works really well for us. 

Anyway, I had gotten up, dressed, and was in the kitchen scrambling eggs and toasting bagels when they both came in and started singing "Happy Birthday" to me. Only then did I remember it was my birthday. 

I spent most of my day at various dr.'s appointments. It was just routine check-ups that all happened to be on my birthday. I told my friend, Jana, that's how people my age spend our time - at the doctor's office. 

One appointment was at my endocrinologist's office. She was checking my thyroid levels, as she does every 6 months. About a year ago she told me to start taking Vitamin D every day. I did that for probably 6 months, then just slacked and haven't taken it lately. She told me I needed to try and start taking it again. I told her I have it on the counter with my others daily meds, but I just forget about it. When I mentioned to Reagan this conversation with my doctor, he said, "Well, I could get you a pill box if you want one." 

And he was serious. 

So, here I am with my 39th birthday gift.

Photobucket

My very first Easy Dose pill box. 

If you're looking for me on Saturdays from about 4:00 p.m. until 4:15 p.m., I'll be counting out my pills into my Easy Dose. Immediately after that I'll be eating my dinner so I can go to bed around 6:00 p.m. like all my other aging friends.

And just in the spirit of full disclosure, I have an appointment with my eye doctor next week. I'm fully expecting her to prescribe my first pair of bifocals. I seriously wish I was kidding about that. Sadly, I'm not.

Happy Birthday to me!

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, we are the same age, but I've been using a little pill box for years!

Ginger

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday - I'm 27, and have had several pill boxes. Luckily at the moment I don't need one, but I did buy one in December that was HUGE - it had room for pills 4 times a day. I bought it so I could just fill it up for my trip home for Christmas, and not have to carry the bottles. It worked out really well. But made me look like I needed meds 4 times a day!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Malinda!! Hope it was a good one even if doctor's appointments and pill boxes were involved! I hope Regan and SM treat you to a delish meal at least!

I have a question about Vitamin D. My BFF had thyroid problems a few years ago,had surgery and has to take a pill every day. What is the Vitamin D for? Just wondering so I might can let Angie know.

Hope you have great birthday weeked!