Each new year I like to make a list of goals I have for the coming 12 months. Sometimes I am successful in meeting those goals. This past year, I was not. Here's a review of the goals I set for last year and whether or not I met those goals.
1. Find more ways to minister as a family. Sara Madalin and I did take meals to families we knew were in need. We donated various items to our church. But I will certainly add this goal to my list for 2013 in hopes that we minister in more ways to those in our lives.
2. Finish my graduate studies. SUCCESS!!! Finishing my degree was a huge part of this past year. I'm so glad it is behind me.
3. Decorate a nursery. Didn't happen. This one was out of my control though. We did receive at least two calls about private adoptions this year. One was very recently. As in during the past week. It didn't work out for us. But we know from experience, if it had been meant for us to adopt, this situation would have worked out. It didn't, and we trust God in that.
4. Take a family photo each month. I was successful in this goal. I like looking back at the photos of our family taken each month. Sara Madalin's hair has gotten so long.
5. Plant a bigger garden. Didn't happen. I didn't plant anything this year. Garden time was also during the time that I was extremely busy finishing up my graduate research project. I've pinned several garden ideas and hope to plant some veggies this year.
6. Run in a few more 5Ks this year. Ha! This certainly didn't happen. I've always exercised to some extent on a regular basis. Until Sara Madalin came along. When she's still, I want to be still. Plus, any free moment I had this past year, I was working on research or studying. So, I only ran in one 5K. This will be a goal for the coming year as well.
7. Get rid of some things around the house. I sold several things on Craiglist. And when my family came for Christmas brunch, I sent a ton of stuff home with her. I'm still cleaning out, but I've managed to get rid of quite a bit of clutter. And it feels great.
8. Make some of the projects I've pinned on Pinterest. I now I've done some things, although I can't remember what at the moment. I know I did them, because once I try something, I move it to my "Pins I've Tried" board. I'm sure most of the pins I tried were recipes and projects I did with or for Sara Madalin.
Now, my goals for 2013.
1. Minister as a family. I still want this to be one of our main goals for this year. I want Sara Madalin to understand that she is not the center of the world, and that to love God, we must love people.
2. Plant a garden. I will plant something. Even if it's just a tomato plant in a pot. I enjoy seeing things grow and produce. Sara Madalin enjoys it too. A garden would be something that is great for us to do together.
3. Run. Whether it's in a 5K race or just down the road near the house.
4. Teach Sara Madalin to read. She's already started trying to sound out words. We can say a word and ask her what letter it starts with and she can tell us. She knows some sight words. I would love to teach her to read because I think she would enjoy reading on her own. She's so curious. I think reading would just feed that curious little mind of hers in ways that I've been unable to so far.
5. Perform more random acts of kindness.
6. Go to bed earlier. Lights out by 10:00 p.m. for the adults in this house.
7. Organize all the books we have in this house. I need to set up a small library somewhere. I love books and have hundreds. Right now they are in boxes and stacked on the floor next to my bed and other places all over the house. I need to get them all in one place.
8. Plan meals. I like having a plan. I need to do a better job of planning meals around here. It will help me help Sara Madalin with her diet, as well as help Reagan and I.
So, there are a few goals for the new year. I'll see how well this works out.