Oct 25, 2015

April 2015

"April showers, bring May flowers." And Silly Spring Hats.

It's a school tradition for 1st graders to decorate at hat at the beginning of Spring and parade around the school for all to see. As you can see, Sara Madalin likes a little color. Here she is with her classmates the day they brought their hats and paraded around the school. 

We were pretty excited about the beginning of Spring. On the first pretty, warm day we took a few pictures to celebrate Spring. 

We attended the annual Easter Egg hunt held by friends at our church. All the preschool and elementary age children and their parents are invited. It's always fun and the children of our church look forward to it each year. 

Listening to the Bible story before the egg hunt. 

And just because it was "unique," here's a picture of my girl on a day I allowed her to dress herself. 

Lower school Field Day was held in April. Sara Madalin was pretty excited, as was every other child at school. Here she is before the games.

And here she is on the way home after the games. Girl was tired. 

My mother passed away at the end of April. She'd been sick for many years with kidney failure and other illnesses. Last November she'd had a vehicle accident and broken both her legs. She was in and out of the hospital and therapy from November until a few weeks before she passed away. In early April we were faced with the decision of whether or not to continue kidney dialysis, which was basically the only thing keeping her alive. Her body was not healing and she was not strengthening. The dialysis was doing nothing more than removing fluid from her body. She was not of sound mind. We agreed that she was hurting more than we were able to help her, regardless of the dialysis or medications the doctors were giving her to help her make it through each day.  We discontinued dialysis in mid-April and she passed away less than a week later.  

My parents divorced when I was 13 years old. My dad received custody of me and my siblings. My mother and I were estranged most of my adult life. With the exception of a visit when Sara Madalin was 3 months old, I had not seen her in 7 years, and only a handful of times in the past 15 years. 

But we prayed for her - my sisters and I. We prayed for her healing and for her salvation. The day after dialysis was discontinued a chaplain from the hospice care facility visited with her. He asked if she had made a decision to follow Christ, and did she know where she'd spend eternity. She answered no and he asked if she wanted to. She said yes and he led her in a prayer where she asked for forgiveness of her sins. It was a moment of comfort for us in the mourning to know that she'd made that decision. 

She passed away on a Saturday night. I had not been gone from her bedside for more than a few hours. My youngest sister, Beth, was with her. Beth was by her side and had dozed off to sleep. When she woke, a little before midnight, my mom was no longer breathing. We had her funeral the following Wednesday. I took a few photos of some of the flowers sent from some of my friends. I was so grateful for the prayers and support I was given that week. It was a comfort to be loved and encouraged. 

post signature

No comments: